Oak chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well as you might have noticed, I am back roaming this forum. In 2005 I have not been able to read and post very often.
In payment for my return I give you my first completed project of 2006: an Oak chest.

Made of Solid French Oak with panels from Oak veneered MDF. I finished it with 3 coats of Danish Oil and I am really pleased with the result. It's easy to apply and brings out the beautiful color and grain of my favourite timber.

oakchest2.jpg

It's now full of shoes in my hallway. Where is was designed to go.
I'll admit this is my first hardwood project :oops:. I didn't have the tools to process undimensioned harwood until now. I thouroughly enjoyed it and it's so much nicer to work with hardwood.

Hope this brings inspiration for some of you :wink: and sorry but no WIP pics.
I should have many more projects for you to see soon...

wow, I really like this CYC. Looks amazing. di you use a plan or was it your own design?

I designed it myself.
It needed to suit a specific size so I drew the plans, didn't like the proportions so drew again. Still didn't like the proportions so I drew one more time and this is the result.

CYC,

It looks stunning! More details please - eg how is the top constructed? What is it like inside, what sort of bottom does it have? How thick are the panels? Hinges? Stays? etc etc.

CYC

Stunning!!! I love the heavy look of the top. Oak is also my favourite timber and it looks beautiful with that oil on. Looking forward to more details on this and seeing the (WIP) next project

Hi CYC

It looks just beautiful. I'm interested in what you have inside as I am also going to produce a shoe rack, of some sort.

Cheers
Neil

CYC,
very nice.
I can't visualise how something that shape works for shoe storage though.

Andy

That's a very nice piece of furniture indeed :) . I'm pleased to see that you've used timber with a couple of very minor imperfections; to my mind, they add enormous character and I wish more woodworkers would take advantage of them.

Gill

Ok, on popular demand here are some more details :) :

- The Oak came as floor boards, 24mm thick (just about an inch thick for your imperials) and the frames are made of it that thick (just sanded).
- The panels and bottom of the chest are the 10mm veneered MDF. I was happy to see it match easily the colour of the Oak grain when Oiled, eventhough is was more silvery when bare.
- The inside of the chest is just like the outside. You see the panels the same way, plus of course an oak bottom which is held in a groove.
- The 4 sides were built separate. The uprights of the outside frame where cut narrower so that added to the thickness of the front frame would give you the same width. The 4 frames are put together at the corners with biscuits.
- The assembly of the frames themselves are made with tenons and mortices to give the strength necessary to seat on the chest when putting your shoes on.
- The top is made of 3 boards thicknessed down to 22mm and joined with biscuits (the usual board making technique).
- The hinges are just 2 simple brass 20mm wide. I didn't fit any mechanical arm to keep the lid up. You have to keep the lid open with one arm while taking your shoes with the other. I don't mind and my wife hasn't objected either. I prefer keeping it simple so we can relocate it if necessary. For the same reason I didn't make any compartments, angled panels or layers for stocking the shoes, it's just dump it all in there :lol:
- Size: 40cm wide, 40cm high and 90cm long.
- Heavy yes!

Really it's only used for stocking our every day shoes and sleepers (aaah my sweet sleepers!). So it's far from being full. It's just a way to decorate the hallway and keep the shoes out of sight. Typically, I have since received an issue of Woodsmith with plans for a shoe chest!!! The front panel open toward you with the shoes lined up. I still prefer my design :p

CYC,
now I know the dimensions it makes a lot more sense. To me your picture made it look larger, more like a blanket chest.

Andy

You should be pleased with the chest, it looks very well made and the proportions look just right. Thanks for sharing with us, it's now inspired me to put a blanket chest on to list for 2007.

CYC,

Very nice - I Like the idea of using floor boards, the thought had never occured to me, but since there seems to be a hardwood flooring shop on evry stree corner in this country now it kind of makes sense!

Les

That looks great
Extremely solid looking and understated in it's style
i'd like to make a chest of somekind this year, i very much like the design/style of yours.
well done :D

Thanks all for your kind words.

Bad_Hypertension, I will share my plans of this chest if you want. It's no big deal to me. I guess it depends if you have Sketchup or not. That applies to anyone on the forum :D

Very nice, CYC - as I've said to you already, I really like the simple. clean lines of the design :D

Cheers,
Neil

Wow! Although, I must admit I would personally find it a little too elaborate for something as simple as multiple shoe storage.

I've made a couple of dead simple 'racks' from some offcuts of timber and a few lengths of 500mm long dowel, as featured in an issue of Good Woodworking towards the end of last summer. Does the job very well and you can also leave them to dry by the radiator.

Latest posts

Back