Oak Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard C-D

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just joined the group so thought I'd post something but not sure what's expected. I used to be a furniture restorer for 35 years but retired 4 years ago and built a small workshop in the back garden so I could make things for myself. I kept quite a lot of old wood and some machines but due to lack of space had to get rid of too much. I made this chest in the Arts and Crafts style using only reclaimed oak, mainly from wardrobes, chest of drawers, pews and table tops. Traditional construction methods, with some modification, stained with bichromate and a shellac finish.

DSCF8314.JPG
DSCF8315.JPG
DSCF8308.JPG

Nice chest, and welcome on board. Opening with a photo of something you’ve made is an awesome first impression!

There are frequent questions on restoring stuff so your experience will be great to hear.

Fitz.

I've just joined the group so thought I'd post something but not sure what's expected. I used to be a furniture restorer for 35 years but retired 4 years ago and built a small workshop in the back garden so I could make things for myself. I kept quite a lot of old wood and some machines but due to lack of space had to get rid of too much. I made this chest in the Arts and Crafts style using only reclaimed oak, mainly from wardrobes, chest of drawers, pews and table tops. Traditional construction methods, with some modification, stained with bichromate and a shellac finish.

View attachment 130769View attachment 130770View attachment 130771
Hi, and welcome! I am just new here too and they are a great bunch of people. I am yet to make my first dovetails, but I would really like to know how you achieve these. I see several others have already mentioned them too - so I guess you will be explaining the detail in due course. Cheers Robyn

Hi, and welcome! I am just new here too and they are a great bunch of people. I am yet to make my first dovetails, but I would really like to know how you achieve these. I see several others have already mentioned them too - so I guess you will be explaining the detail in due course. Cheers Robyn
Hi Robyn,
The dovetails are not quite like the normal ones so not a good example for a first try. Whatever ones you do I suppose the best advice is to mark out very carefully, use the best dovetail saw and sharp chisels and aim for a first-time tight fit. I learnt pre internet from books such as Ernest Joyce and Charles Hayward . I don't really follow YouTubers as some are very poor but I should think Paul Sellers will be one to have a look at.

Welcome Richard. That is a very nice coffer you have made there. Is it Peter Waals inspired?
Hi mrP
The protruding dovetails on the front legs and general design I took from a chest designed and made by Sydney Barnsley. Ernest Gimson also used them so Peter Waals, as Gimson's foreman and successor, may have used them too on similar pieces

Back