oak burr half - best use of and where to start?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably one of those 'HLIAPO-String' questions but...
I was in the shop and there it was, and only a fiver, so i thought 'why not?'. Now I've got it home I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. :?
An oak burr, or to be more accurate, part of an oak burr. it has a sawn side so i don't think i can go for the NE Saturn ring type bowl.
I'm stumped! the only thing i can think of is cutting it round with the burr on top and having a bumpy top edge bowl.

So if was yours what would you do with it ? how do i make the most of it? suggestions on a postcard please :wink:

a live 360 degree photo here- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/79596959/burr.AVI

burr_DSC00289.jpg

burr_DSC00288.jpg

burr_DSC00287.jpg

burr_DSC00286.jpg

burr_DSC00285.jpg

burr_DSC00284.jpg

Attachments

• burr_DSC00285.jpg
    burr_DSC00285.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,263
  • burr_DSC00284.jpg
    burr_DSC00284.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,266
  • burr_DSC00286.jpg
    burr_DSC00286.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • burr_DSC00287.jpg
    burr_DSC00287.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 1,246
  • burr_DSC00288.jpg
    burr_DSC00288.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • burr_DSC00289.jpg
    burr_DSC00289.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1,266
you could cut it and get some nice box blank material from it, its a pity about the straight sawn sides- if it was mine i would probably cut it up and cast with it

I think I would try to cut the biggest circle possible out of it and core it to obtain more than one natural edge bowl. The off cuts can probably be used either for smaller bowls, hollow forms, boxes or pens.

I normally flatten the middle of the bark side of odd shape burs with a fostner bit by moving it around till there is a flat bit to take a face plate or screw chuck and make a natural edge bowl good luck with it, it should be good whatever you decided to do with it

Trimmed the furthest edges off the burr and got a couple of small pen blanks, including this littl'un...

ca2bc0aa93bd3b656cd3a2da11bb5b85.gif

oakburrminisketchpencil1.JPG

So its looking pretty good for a pretty bowl or whatever when i get brave enough. a fiver well spent :)

Attachments

• oakburrminisketchpencil1.JPG
    oakburrminisketchpencil1.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 1,073
A bowl eventually fell out of it.
Not sure if i like it or not though :? maybe a bit too busy??

oak burr bowl.JPG

oak burr bowl3.JPG

Oh well, they cant all be winners i suppose. :(

Attachments

• oak burr bowl.JPG
    oak burr bowl.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,076
  • oak burr bowl3.JPG
    oak burr bowl3.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 1,081
I think it is the most beautiful bit of wood I have seen in a long time and you have done it proud a good heavy duty practical bowl well done considering you didnt know what to do with it at the start and well worth the £5 you paid for it

Lovely bit of timber mate. You did well.
Only just saw this topic & was going to suggest a vee shaped glue block on the cut edges to grip it and start hollowing the bark side. 'tis a thing of beauty though, and well worth the £5-er you paid for it.

Nev ,just seen this it's a real beauty ,not a bit too busy .A really super bit of turning ,beautiful grain and a great finish well done . =D> =D>

Back