Oak Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I was asked by a family member to make a small box with 4 compartments. No specified timber...Good job as I've all I've got at the moment is oak.
The only requirements were the dimensions and I had to use quadrant hinges. I hate quadrant hinges and my recessing of the right hand hinge on the box section isn't as I good as I would like.
Finished with Chestnut hard wax oil.

Attachments

• tempImageRQYkUx.png
    tempImageRQYkUx.png
    1 MB · Views: 263
  • NVDZ7928.jpg
    NVDZ7928.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 264
With respect the hinges are a bit oversized. Its worth buying the 'Jig It ' acrylic template for fitting hinges from Rockler in the US . It has interchangeable templates for side rail and quadrant hinges. You can even make your own templates for the Crawford and Neat hinges. Its the most useful jig I ever bought.

I don't do enough work that requires small hinges to warrant buying a jig. On the rare occasion I do fit them, I prefer recessing them with hand tools and a drill. My marking out was the problem with the hinge recess I wasn't happy with.

Nicely made box Scooby.

Re the hinges I agree they seem to be a bit over sized.

If you look at the Brusso range there is 1 ¼” (I think that’s the right size) quadrant hinge which is the size I used to fit on my boxes.

They are a total pain to fit and are now insanely expensive.

I’ve gone over to the knife hinge (either Ian Hawthorne or Andrew Crawford).

I don’t have a jig for fitting these hinges, I just use the fence on the router table. It’s always one of the moments in the making process I feel uncomfortable!

Phil.

tooleypark.com

bespokehandmadeboxes.co.uk

Back