Oak Box (Finished)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
This is sort of a practice run for a blanket chest. So its a bit more "chucky" looking than I'd normally build. This was the project that caused the japanese stool to get delayed.

I had a look through the offcuts, and found a few nice bits of "pippy" oak. Seemed a waste not to show them off.

medium.jpg

I started by planing a face and square edge on the P/T

medium.jpg

Then thicknessing the boards

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Once I was able to get a good look at the boards, I was able to decide on the dimensions for the box, and the layout of the individual pieces of timber

medium.jpg

I had some 6mm plywood kicking around which would form that base. I used a 6mm cutter in the router to cut some slots. For speed, I decided to screw the box together with butt joints.

medium.jpg

I soon switched up to the new raised bench with the better options for clamping :lol:

medium.jpg

I chamfered each side with a low angle apron plane.

medium.jpg

I decided 3 screws on each face would be sufficient. I'm marking up the positions.

medium.jpg

Next stage is to work out the drilling sizes. I need a plug to cover the screw hole. 10mm is the next biggest size above the screw. (I'm using a dowel plate as I don't have any plug cutters!)

medium.jpg

Then drilling.

medium.jpg

I've decided to make this a "non-sanding" project. I want to use nothing but hand planes to complete the project. (maybe a scraper). I'm fed up with dust and sanding is boring.

[At this stage, I decided now is the time to give all my planes their first ever sharpening. :oops: :shock: Thats right, I've been using them for at least 2 years now and never sharpened, honed, or anything. I used them straight out the box. You guys have seen most my projects so you know they get well used]. There. I've admitted it. Either I'm missing out on something or you guys are spending a lot more time sharpening than making projects.

Anyway, here it is smoothing the insides.

medium.jpg

Next stage is drilling pilot holes down the end grain. No electric drill for me.

medium.jpg

Dab of glue (PVA). Another thing where I've never used anything else.

medium.jpg

Drilling the screws in.

medium.jpg

To make the dowels, I'm using some walnut. Its 11mm thick, and I'm ripping it to 11mm.

medium.jpg

Making that dowel....

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

The dowel was a bit loose. So I decided to remidy it. I cut it very close to the surface whilst the glue was still wet...

medium.jpg

The pounded it with a hammer to splay the grain slightly. Result = nice tight plugs.

After the glue was dry..

medium.jpg

Cleaning up the dowel with a low angle block plane..

medium.jpg

Then smoothing the entire surface

medium.jpg

And a bit later...

medium.jpg

Chamfer those corners..

medium.jpg

Lovely end grain shavings.... (none of these waterstones, this is straight back off the Tormek).

medium.jpg

There we go - a box full of shavings - that lot could have been dust!

medium.jpg

Using a #7 jointer to flush all the top surfaces. I've already done the bottom

medium.jpg

Got a few bits for the lid

medium.jpg

They aren't wide enough, so I'll add a strip of walnut. I need to plane it first.

medium.jpg

Decided to biscuit joint the lid. No idea why. Easy referencing for glueup I guess.

medium.jpg

Some glue

medium.jpg

And clamps

medium.jpg

Getting some danish oil on..

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Looking good.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Will try and post some more piccys once I've uploaded them.

Adam

Cripes, Adam, couldn't you spin these out over time a bit? All these goodies all at once! :shock: :lol:

I'm perfectly happy to accept I spend too much time sharpening, but how did you find things after you'd done it? Any difference? Not quite so hard to push maybe? Or perhaps the Tormek doesn't make enough difference... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2yl1n5p9 said:
Cripes, Adam, couldn't you spin these out over time a bit? All these goodies all at once! :shock: :lol:

I'm perfectly happy to accept I spend too much time sharpening, but how did you find things after you'd done it? Any difference? Not quite so hard to push maybe? Or perhaps the Tormek doesn't make enough difference... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

In time honoured tradition it seems 1 thou is a mystical measurement, so I thought I'd better see what I was getting....Well, my shavings were that thin - see here the shavings over the top of the dowels - some end grain, some long grain.
medium.jpg

It was easier. Yes. Would I reduce the time between sharpenings. Only a bit. This hardened steel is good stuff!

Adam

Recent tests have confirmed what I've long suspected; one shaving thickness tells you nowt except how good you are at squashing shavings in caliper jaws. I know I've done it, and it looks cool, but for all practical purposes it's a waste of time. A shaving doubled over twice (four thicknesses) and then averaged out seems a more truthful indicator. Not that I expect anyone to take it up, 'cos it makes you seem like a lousy shaving maker in comparison with all the caliper crushers. :lol:

But more importantly, what does the surface of the board look like. In a raking light. :twisted: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1nr1v17d said:
Recent tests have confirmed what I've long suspected; one shaving thickness tells you nowt except how good you are at squashing shavings in caliper jaws.

Hmm, I'd wondered that before. It was only that I had calipers handy I bothered. All I can say is the shavings were "thin and fluffy" and I'd describe the surfaces as "lovely and smooth". With is as best as I can describe. The main things is I oiled it - which always means I'm happy.

Adam

Nice one Adam-its good to see these step-by-step pics.
But screwed butt joints :shock: Haven't you gat a Leigh sitting around somewhere? :wink:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates sanding.............
Philly :D

Like the aproach Adam, a no nonsense functional, practical and pleasing result.

Re: the screwing of Butt Joints at corners, do you have any feelings for the practicallity of just relying on the PVA adhesive for the joints without screw or biscuit reinforcing? I quite often just glue the corners on boxes and trays a have not had one fail yet in houshold use.

CHJ":3a0h4kem said:
Like the aproach Adam, a no nonsense functional, practical and pleasing result.

Re: the screwing of But Joints at corners, do you have any feelings for the practicallity of just relying on the PVA adhesive for the joints without screw or biscuit reinforcing? I quite often just glue the corners on boxes and trays a have not had one fail yet in houshold use.

Thankyou. Not sure I follow. Each joint had three screws in it. Ahh - you mean had I considered doing it without screws? No, I guess not.

Adam

Adam":o5sjxj3n said:
Thankyou. Not sure I follow. Each joint had three screws in it. Ahh - you mean had I considered doing it without screws? No, I guess not.

Adam

I think with the contrasting plugs it looks great, and with twin start threads, screwing into end grain is fairly standard these days (not in my day though!) With all that meaty timber, glue alone could fail if the boards cup a little in the heat of the house. It shouldn't go anywhere with 3 screws in there!

Adam
Thank you for the posting, you look very cozy up there.
Two years, since sharpening, sounds naughty :)
I was also amazed how quickly the thread opened on my landline connection, there seemed to be no loading time. How did you do that?
How much do you have to pay the camera crew? :)

The finished box looks good.

devonwoody":bnc4j87p said:
I was also amazed how quickly the thread opened on my landline connection, there seemed to be no loading time. How did you do that?How much do you have to pay the camera crew? :)
The finished box looks good.

I don't think I did anything! Just reduced the image size before I put them on the web, and also linked to a slightly smaller image size. Maybe you had a good connection!

Adam

Right, this (as always) got delayed. In fact, just as this delayed the completion of my "Japanese" stool, this got delayed by two projects, the main of which is to be a blanket box. Still, got there eventually. Once I've got one more coat of oil on it, I'll bring it in, wax it, and line the base with felt....

Inside....

large.jpg

Outside....

52741443.jpg

This is other project that crept in - although this is finished - the blanket box is only just started!

In walnut...

large.jpg

From the back - their is no logic to the curves, each sweeps away to nothing randomly. The piece at the back has some nice figure also.

large.jpg

Corner shot...

large.jpg

Adam

Adam,
It looks good and even though chunky, it carries it off very well. Roll on the blanket chest - is that what you were photographing in fact?

Hi Adam

The box and candle-holder look really good. Thank you for taking the time to post these threads, I love reading them.

Adam":23xskn02 said:
Dab of glue (PVA). Another thing where I've never used anything else.

Does the bottle of Titebond disprove that statement? :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":283am5c6 said:
Does the bottle of Titebond disprove that statement? :lol: Cheers Neil

Got given it as a present. Problem is, I'm not really sure what to use it for - does it go off once opened? Is their a type of joint its optimum for? I probably ought to read the instructions as a start :shock:

Waterhead37":283am5c6 said:
Adam,
It looks good and even though chunky, it carries it off very well. Roll on the blanket chest - is that what you were photographing in fact?

Yes and no. It was a small box, which I called a blanket box, but in fact thats an old project - which you can see here. The new blanket box is to be in oak and ash, wth mortice and tenons contrstruction and small panels. 52 M+T in total! (complete). :D

Adam

Adam

Back