oak box and lid conundrum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi wouldchuck,

they were an ebay buy can't remember the source there are a few - how wrong can you go with magnets?

they are 2mm deep by 5mm diameter - they hold very strong - if they touch. they seem to quickly lose power if they are separated by more than a hair - but then they are very small. as they were so small they were very fiddly to adjust so i didn't i justdrilled very carefully with an egg whisk hand drill and measured progress with vernier caliper - mine have a little prong that sticks out the bottom for this. no glue required just poked them in

to get them apart if they are too strong you just slide them off each other rather than trying to pull them apart so maybe design your lid to be able to slide a bit

it was only about five quid for twenty including postage so peanuts really - suggest you get some and have a play on a test piece to see how strong they are - you can get them out easy enough with a chisel if you dont glue them in

good luck

get them out with a chisel, tut, tut,tut. :) :) :)

You will have some of the handtool boys after you. :wink:

Use the wife's best cutlery

yes yes what I meant but was too lazy to type was

they can be removed by chiselling at an approx 45 degree angle into the wood next to them far enough back so as to cut just underneath them which will enable them to be lifted out safely without damage to them or the chisel

but the cutlery sounds better now you mention it!

Back