Oak bowl treated with vinegar & wirewool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It normally only takes about 5 min I don't leave the wire wool in the vinegar at all but some say they leave it in the vinegar all the time all I do is use triple 0 wire wool dip it in the vinegar and keep rubbing it on the oak till the wire wool starts to fall apart and the wood starts to change color than put it to one side to dry and go black some times it will go blue but when you oil or polish it it will turn black but not jet black but another time it take two applications

really nice woody we just don't know what your going to do next turning is a natural art you have been born with it well done mate
regards
Bill

Here is a look at my attempt so far. It may need another application of the solution.

Thank you so much for putting me onto this technique. You guys are an encyclopaedia of knowledge and ideas.

f53b7b2245ee11e2873222000a1f9e77_6.jpg

I have 'fumed' oak by putting it in a sealed cabinet with a saucer of strong ammonia. Same effect..the heartwood goes a lovely rich brown, longer the exposure, darker the wood. Will not raise the grain. Won't affect any wood with polish, glue etc. on it.
Used to be commonly used to artificially age oak furniture, said to put 200 years on. So don't get too close to the fumes.

MattF":27shk3km said:
Hi Woody
How deep does the blackening go down into the timber

Matt

It all depends how mush vinegar you put on as to how deep it will penetrate as with spirit stain but it is quite deep

Usiing my method, similar to Woody's, I have found that it can go in up to 1/2" if put on dry wood liberally. As said it depends on how much you put on and how porous the wood is. Old oak which can be like rock is less porous IME than new dry oak.

Pete

I have copied a Mark Handcock 'Hand Grenade' hollow form vessel whereby the wood is scorched with a blowtorch & then cleaned with a stiff brush. As it wasn't for food use I finished it with some black shoe polish. He uses Map gas I believe, because it burns hotter but I just used a butane & a plumbers torch.

Not sure Mark likes the term 'hand grenade' but it is descriptive & easily visualised.

Apologies Mark.

Robbo

Latest posts

Back