Oak bowl treated with vinegar & wirewool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
I made this bowl yesterday out of oak and applied the first coat of vinigar with 000 wire wool and finished it today treated it with another application of malt vinegar with 000 wire wool traditionally the Victorians used white vinegar it is 6" wide x 11" long x 2" high and 2mm thick

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,026
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 2,023
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 2,024
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,024
Wow! Does vinegar really make it go as black as that?! it also has a nice shine by the looks of it, is that the vinegar as well?
Nice work sir!

bodge":38rwfwbs said:
Wow! Does vinegar really make it go as black as that?! it also has a nice shine by the looks of it, is that the vinegar as well?
Nice work sir!
No pete they look like this after the vinegar is dry

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,990
woodyturner":289418i5 said:
bodge":289418i5 said:
Nice work sir!
that looks fantastic got to try that thanks.

red dave":42s14h4e said:
woodyturner":42s14h4e said:
bodge":42s14h4e said:
Nice work sir!
that looks fantastic got to try that thanks.
Good luck Dave I have done this loads of times over the years including on pens, block and Gavel. finial as well as bowls decorative and for food stuff

Lots of Tannin in Oak, must be that reacting with the vinegar that makes the colour, interesting, I have never seen or heard of that technique before, nice one Woody!

KimG":2r3b5kgq said:
Lots of Tannin in Oak, must be that reacting with the vinegar that makes the colour, interesting, I have never seen or heard of that technique before, nice one Woody!
I don't think it reacts with the vinegar it is the vinegar making the wire wool go rusty and that reacts with the tannin

woodyturner":3o80n9j9 said:
KimG":3o80n9j9 said:
I don't think it reacts with the vinegar it is the vinegar making the wire wool go rusty and that reacts with the tannin

in italian "acetato di ferro" react with tannin , but the reaction of vinegar and wire wool create hidrogen (the little bubble have you see) danger! no flame beside! no caps on! and last .... an orrible smell :)

I use a mix of vinegar with a handful of wirewool dissolved it it,you then get an instant reaction of the oak going black as you paint it on with a brush ,its great to show people as their reaction to it is like having a magician there,regards,

Eric.

Hello,

the iron in the acid solution reacts with the tannin in the wood, forming iron tannate, a bluish-black stuff, which in turn colours the wood. The solution is useful on acidic woods, like fruitwoods, oak and elm, but not really effective on others, like maple.

Best wishes,

János

Would this treatment be safe on a bowl to be used as a Mortar i.e with a pestle? And if it is: Would sealing it with Shellac make it food-safe?

Someone is bound to say that you could use the bowl to at chips from, then you wouldn't need to add vinegar (groan) - so I may as well say it first.

K

Hello,

This kind of black stain is food safe, as iron tannate is a stable and non-toxic chemical compound. But colouring a wooden mortar is not a really good idea, as in use the pestle will grind the surface, and washing will fade the colour inevitably. The best finish for a wooden mortar is no finish at all, and the second best is walnut oil.

Have a nice day,

János

Yet another very interesting and well executed piece woody, you surely are a prolific turner. As i now log in everyday to see what you have come up with, I need to know iff you are taking christmas day off so i can plan ahead :lol: :lol:

Always a pleasure to see your work

Berns

inaspin":3gt6vpq7 said:
Yet another very interesting and well executed piece woody, you surely are a prolific turner. As i now log in everyday to see what you have come up with, I need to know iff you are taking christmas day off so i can plan ahead :lol: :lol:

Always a pleasure to see your work

Berns
:p :p Yes I am we are going to one of our sons for Christmas but I have got to make them a 20" platter first for the turkey and whatever else they want to put on it I got a 21" x 44" x 2" Ash board on ebay for £20 so 'm well pleased with that in fact I may be doing it today so have a nice day of LOL

Right... I just tried this and whilst the oak is definately getting darker it is by no means black. Does the reaction take a long time or should I have let the wire wool steep in the vinegar for longer (than 5 mins) befor using it?

Oh yeah, thanks for telling me that the solution stains your fingers black quicker than the oak !!! :p

Anybody got any handy hints??

Thanks

Back