Oak bookcase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Made a little project this week.

40 planks of prime european oak

After a lot of machining, jointing and staining, turns into this

I'm really not happy with how the cornice runs into the wall. I wanted to either drop the height of the unit so the cornice could run right across the unit, or reduce it in width and increase the height. Customer didn't like either of these options :roll:

Cheers

Karl

I would move it the left and either leave a gap to the door, or alternatively add an infill piece. I agree, a nice book case where the cornice doesn't enhance the design.

That cornice looks really odd going into the wall, also the covered up window.
It does surprise me what people have in there mind and how stubborn they are when you offer a different solution.

Very nice bookcase Karl but I see what you mean about the cornice.
What finish did you use?

John

How much colour variance did you see in the oak?
I've been using a bit of euro oak lately and I'm getting quite a range of colours. None of it unattractive but might be a problem on one piece I'm working on :(
Nice looking bookcase you've done, but like the others, the cornice is a minor issue.
You can only do what the customer wants though :)

Thanks guys.

It's a little deflating when you've worked on something and you aren't happy with the end result (not withstanding that I don't have to live with it day in day out!).

n0legs":1vw6iatr said:
How much colour variance did you see in the oak?
I've been using a bit of euro oak lately and I'm getting quite a range of colours. None of it unattractive but might be a problem on one piece I'm working on :(
Nice looking bookcase you've done, but like the others, the cornice is a minor issue.
You can only do what the customer wants though :)

No colour variance, but quite a lot of shake.

John15":1vw6iatr said:
Very nice bookcase Karl but I see what you mean about the cornice.
What finish did you use?

John

2 coats of Jacobean Dark Oak stain, 2 coats Osmo polyx Satin Matt HWO.

Cheers

Karl

Back