Oak board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
Is anyone interested in buying an oak board? It is 1st Quality English Oak, with excellent quartersawn figure. 10ft long, between 7" and 8" wide, inch-and-a-half thick, rough sawn.
It is left over from the Mackintoch bedside tables in this month's GWW, I haven't got room to store it, and I haven't the heart to cut it into two smaller pieces. It would make a nice top for a coffee table, say, or a couple of sets of table legs. I don't really want to get rid of it, it is a very nice board, but it is in my way. Is anyone interested? I'm in Nottingham.
Cheers
Steve

No good for me as I don't have the room but just wanted to say, nice website there Steve, especially the Jigs, very useful ;)

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum. I've sent you a pm about the board.

Steve Maskery":236bh2nw said:
I'm in Nottingham.

Now, please tell me where to go for all that wonderful hardwood that is so finely displayed on your web site in the form of furniture.

Do you use somebody locally? I'd really appreciate knowing.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil
We have two decent timber merchants in Nottingham, one that has a reasonable stock, and one that knows what Customer Service means. A while back a member of staff of the Reasonable Stock Company who was serving me was not able to help me load up because "it's my break now". The Good Service people (Nixon Knowles) have softwood, board material, Oak, Ash, and Canary, all American, and that's about it.

I can get American Ash, American Oak, Maple and American Cherry virtually off the shelf. But for English Oak and just about anything else a little out of the ordianry ( isn't it sad to think of English Oak as a little out of the ordinary?) I go to Whitmore's near Hinkley. It is a bit of a journey (an hour each way) but they have a fantastic stock. The last time I went I got talking to the Boss, and I was bemoaning the quality of Cherry. "Have you got a few minutes?", he said. He proceeded to show me the best American Cherry I have ever seen. Pricey, yes, but the best.

Veneer I get from Capital Veneers in London. You have to know what you want, they do not suffer fools gladly*. but I have never been disappointed with what they have sent me.

(* It's no use ringing up and saying, I'd like some oak veneer, please." You have to say, "I want English Oak, Quater-sawn, at least 8" wide, minimum 6' lengths. A bundle").

I made a demilune table last year, from cherry with a bird's-eye maple inlay top. I got the veneer FREE, by scrounging from a co that does a lot of contract stuff for hotels an the like though a friend of a friend. Sometimes I think there is a god after all. Maybe even a God.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Thank you for the information. That has been really helpful.

Steve Maskery":3bvun7db said:
We have two decent timber merchants in Nottingham, one that has a reasonable stock......

I assume you mean a company who are not a million miles from the Games Workshop?

If so, that mirrors my experience exactly.

Cheers
Neil

Steve Maskery":3k5f66pm said:
Hi Neil

Veneer I get from Capital Veneers in London. You have to know what you want, they do not suffer fools gladly*. but I have never been disappointed with what they have sent me.

(* It's no use ringing up and saying, I'd like some oak veneer, please." You have to say, "I want English Oak, Quater-sawn, at least 8" wide, minimum 6' lengths. A bundle").
Cheers
Steve

I buy veneer from these folk but living not far away, I have always visited them. They have a marvellous stock and it really makes your mouth water to look it over. I have always been impressed with the help I have had from them on my visits. Even though I have not been buying a lot someone has always been there to help me get exactly what I need, explaining everything about their stuff along the way.

Of course, they don't want oiks like me turning over stacks of expensive veneer so there is a security issue as well for them but they make the buying experience very pleasurable.

Hi all

I've just been over to meet Steve and it was like stepping inside the back issues of GWW. The work Steve has produced is just wonderful. It was a pleasure to be invited in to view the sort of work that I can only aspire to.

Steve has also built the "Norm" router table and incorporated his own fence design. It is much bigger than I had imagined, but I must admit I did feel just a little bit envious. :roll:

Thank you Steve.

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back