Oak and metals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening,

I've been building a tool chest out of some salvaged oak flooring, the only joints involved were a couple of housing's - everything else is glue and screws. I made sure to get some stainless screws for the bulk of it but I have two bits of ply to nail to the back of the chest, I do have some stainless pins but not enough to do the job, so can I use copper pins without problem? I have a couple of jars somewhere that have never seen the light of day :)

Also I'm assuming brass wont react in anyway either? am I wrong?

Thanks in advance to the collective...

+1 to the above but brass and copper are much softer than stainless so are more prone to bending when being hammered into oak, we use a fair bit of oak post's and rails for fencing and always drill a hole just smaller than the nail to stop it bending plus it stops the wood from splitting. (hammer)

always drill a hole just smaller than the nail to stop it bending plus it stops the wood from splitting.

+1, and dipping copper nail tips in linseed oil first makes them go in a treat if the holes are a bit tight....

Back