Oak and Ash Blanket Box (Finished)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Pictures of completed project added to here.... https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 440#100440

Rip some ash

52873683.jpg

Then chop a couple of legs to length... using the mitre sled as I'll trim to exact length later.

52873685.jpg

All four legs.

52873686.jpg

Everyone has a preferred method for M+T.

52873690.jpg

Best bits to the front, worst pieces to the back :lol:

52873695.jpg

Proportions don't look right...

52873696.jpg

Nope...

52873697.jpg

Marking then moving 1cm a time. Very tedious....

52873698.jpg

Got it....

52873699.jpg

Grooves cut, but I need to mortice in the appropriate positions.

52873700.jpg

Marking the individual mortices to 1 piece.

52873701.jpg

Clamp everything up

52873702.jpg

And transfer to all the pieces in 1 go. The top rails are slightly lower than the bottom rails. Makes it look more balanced hopefully.

52873703.jpg

Yawn, thats 1 of 52.

52873706.jpg

All had the angles on them. My trusty apron plane working well.

52873707.jpg

Each ones numbered.

52873711.jpg

Rather than sand off the P+T marks, I take a couple of cuts with a smoothing plane. Chekout those lovely full length shavings :D

52873712.jpg

Then taking off the sharp corners...

52873715.jpg

The long rails take several cuts to get them smooth from end to end.

52873717.jpg

Time to go back indoors. Everythings ready for tomorrow.

52873719.jpg

Adam

Now come on Adam, you're working far too quickly!

Looks great so far, that 'rat sure makes life less stressful.

Yep. I got another poject in mind. I like to have one in the finishing stages and one in the starting stages to make sure I utilise 100% of my workshop time.

Adam

Sanding each piece....

56039872.jpg

Vacuuming off the dust...

medium.jpg

Whohoo, i found a use for my GWW freebie! Perfect for getting inside that groove.

medium.jpg

First coat on everything... So resorting to pegs to hold them up.

medium.jpg

So many mortices - I've switched to a nice big industrial machine - far faster than my little bench jobbie!

medium.jpg

Marking a square end to the legs...

medium.jpg

Planing them - can't remember why...

medium.jpg

More danish oil...

medium.jpg

Choosing each piece...

medium.jpg

Onto the panels now..

medium.jpg

More oil..

medium.jpg

and more...

medium.jpg

Book matched - they are just 6mm thick.

medium.jpg

Out of drying space.....

medium.jpg

Next installment coming soon!

Adam

Wow Adam, such speed and looking very nice too

A couple of questions:

Did the position of the wall dictate the length of leg (see 2nd photo from top) :D

Do you use a tripod for the photos? of the wife? :wink: The reason I ask is that I've been asked for more photos showing me working in them rather than just the proejct (heaven alone knows why :roll: )

Hi Adam

Looking very nice!
The bookmatched panels are good.

Can you tell me the reason for chamfering all the tenons please?

For the love of Norm, the guy's a new father and he's still got time for woodwork. Burn the Witch*!! :lol:

Adam":3n08pnr4 said:
That's an easy one - because you could. :wink: Very nice and, good grief, an oil finish too. You'm full of surprises... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

*I dunno, can you have male witches? But "wizard" just didn't seem right...

Tony":15w8iuzc said:
Did the position of the wall dictate the length of leg (see 2nd photo from top) :D

Fortunately not, had a cm or so to spare 8)

Tony":15w8iuzc said:
Do you use a tripod for the photos?

Yes, a dirt cheap one from Jessops. Fortunately the screen on my camera flips round, so I can see whether I'm in shot or not. I make extensive use of the 10 second delay feature.

Aragon":15w8iuzc said:

Err, its good practice isn't it? :?: Makes them ease in a little better? Don't really know I'm afraid - I've always done it that way.

ALF":15w8iuzc said:
Very nice and, good grief, an oil finish too. You'm full of surprises... Whistle

Yep I pushed the boat out on finish and choice of wood once again. No limit to my adventurousness.

Adam

Adam":3t4uawbr said:
Err, its good practice isn't it? :?: Makes them ease in a little better? Don't really know I'm afraid - I've always done it that way.
Oh OK then! Thought perhaps I was missing something.

Hi Adam

Well done, it looks excellent.

All the best
Neil

Aragorn":1bj2w684 said:

I remember being taught to do that at school. As Adam says it was about making it easier to slide the tenon into the mortice and also, I believe, somewhere for the excess glue to reside.

Cheers
Neil

Good Stuff Adam! I am also a new father and havent seen the inside of the workshop for the last 3 months :roll: Whats your secret?

Alf - male witch is a Warlock I believe. (Cannot decide if I am sad or intlligent for knowing such trivia :wink: )

Steve.

StevieB":79no603p said:
Good Stuff Adam! I am also a new father and havent seen the inside of the workshop for the last 3 months :roll: Whats your secret?

Err about 3.5 months to get round to posting the pictures? :oops:

Adam

Hi adam, wonderful looking job, but you're working far too fast, after reading all about it I shall have to go and lie down in a dark room. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Alan.

Alf":opf8rg5h said:
Adam":opf8rg5h said:
That's an easy one - because you could.

Remembered, they still had pencil lines on for to indicate where the mortices should be. Once I'd cut the mortices, then I could plan the pencil lines off.

Adam

Nice work as usual Adam. I am always amazed at how you make the most of your limited workshop space. Every time I curse at the size of my shop I think of yours and realise that it is my bad layout that causes me so much grief.

Andy

dedee":353ymj9r said:
Every time I curse at the size of my shop I think of yours and realise that it is my bad layout that causes me so much grief. Andy

I will admit this is about as big as its practical to make in the current workshop. Its certainly not helped by having a large honey extractor in as well. Lifting the item on and off the table saw is hard work, and its far from ideal, and the time wasted is increased as its even less easy to move about.

Adam

StevieB":1zilxbfk said:
Alf - male witch is a Warlock I believe. (Cannot decide if I am sad or intlligent for knowing such trivia :wink: )
Okay, is it sad or intelligent to have looked this up? Don't all rush at once... :roll: The, ah, "Witches' League for Public Awareness" ](*,) says no. "Teenwitch.com" aggrees, as does the "Electric Witch" and no doubt the "Cheese Witch", "Witches R Us", "Have Broom Will Travel" and "Wand-ering Witches Inc" (the witches' travel agent of choice). Only some of those are made up, and I haven't checked the others to see if they're not. 'scuse me while I have a lie down; the world's too odd for me... :?

Cheers, Alf

Back