Oak and Ash Blanket Box (Finished)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My partner is a witch, so I asked her.
She assures me that a male witch is simply called a witch. Seems like it is a gender unspecific term. Very PC.

I picked up a hitchhiker once, she said she was a witch. She clicked her fingers and we turned in a lay-by

Andy

Meh, seems it varies depending on where you look. Dictionary.com says a warlock is a male witch, while the OED says a warlock is a sorcerer or wizard :roll: Meanwhile wikipedia suggests both a male witch who rides a pitchfork rather than a broom or a witch that has been expelled for oath breaking. It also notes that Dumbledore from Harry Potter is chief warlock of the Wizengamot :?

Can't help thinking we have gone slightly off topic here though, so make your own minds up guys and gals :D

Steve.

Ahh finished!

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

You can see the contrasting timbers in the lid are also profiled.

large.jpg

Although not very obvious, the front panels either side of the central one are (sort of) bookmatched.

large.jpg

And as it should be - holding some blankets!

large.jpg

Not ideally located for space, but until we move house, it has to be squeezed in here....

large.jpg

Different white balance makes it look completely different.

large.jpg

Some of the panels were made from scrap timber. You can clearly see the glue line. I tried to hide these onthe sides and back, with the "best" matching on the sides. They are 6mm thick.

large.jpg

Adam

Adam

It looks great - well done. I don't think that those 'scrap' panels look bad at all.

Bet you are going to stub your toe on it though!

Cheers

Tim

Adam,

I am with Tim on this, the panels look fine. Useful chest, are you going to make a tray to fit on the runners that you have fitted in the top of it?

Lovely work Adam and as previously said the "scrap" panels are fine and have the benefit of giving you the nice feeling of being a recycler. More people should do the same I'm thinking.

I was watching Norm the other day and he was doing a gardeners dry sink out of recovered Cedar. Apparently a lot of logs were lost at the bottom of a river around 100 years ago and a company are finding and raising these logs, drying and cutting them into boards to make available for woodworkers.

Now where's me scuba kit... pipper... sold it! :oops:

Adam,
That's a very nice job. I love the profile of the top as well. I hope you don't mind me pinching the design. I think Tasmanian Blackwood will make a lovely blanket chest.
Jim

Big Jim":3n0p25oo said:
I hope you don't mind me pinching the design.
Jim

Go for it!

DaveL":3n0p25oo said:
Useful chest, are you going to make a tray to fit on the runners that you have fitted in the top of it?

Yes - I've made a square frame already, and made a net to span across from some purple string from the chandlers. Had to look up how to make a net first on google - but as always, someone had some good pictures!

Scott":3n0p25oo said:
Very nice Adam! Did you find a stay for the lid?

Yes, its winging its way here at this vry moment. The lid is very heavy. It doesn't deflect when I sit on it, so I know its pretty substantial!

dedee":3n0p25oo said:
Adam, gorgeous. Did you use your usual wax on oil to finish?

Andy

Of course ;)

Hello from East Texas, part of the USA's "hurricane central". I noticed Adam working some on his raiser mini-bench. Haven't seen any of those on websites on this side of the water. What can't you do with a bench that narrow (if you also have a regular sized assembly table)? I plan to soon build a complete bench 18" by 6.5 or 7' with a central row of dog holes, two outer rows of holdfast holes, end leg vise, and a Roubo crochet and skirt on one side. The assembly bench will be a torsion box with detachable face vise(s), maybe lower than the bench. -- Rick

Rick, welcome to the forum.

There are at least 3 of those mini benches on here. As well as Adams both wiZer and Alf have made them

Andy

Adam,

As always a nice piece of craftmanship.

Really nice- that will definitely become a famely heirloom :wink:

McLuma

Adam":2eqvpmqd said:
RickCarpenter":2eqvpmqd said:
I noticed Adam working some on his raiser mini-bench. Rick

See the build here - it has a few dimensions etc as well. You can also see Chris version (which was for carving), in the first picture.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7193

Adam

Thanks, all are very cool. What intrigued me was seeing y'all's minibenches and Jr. Strasil's narrow bench. You can see his bench at:
www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=3611

I was just wondering what limitations y'all faced when working only on your narrow minibenches.

Thanks,
Rick

Back