O-level woodwork challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks AndyT - it focuses the mind and brings a smile to my face!

A few years ago, after early retirement, I enrolled at a local college for the furniture restoration course (cabinet making; upholstery; finishing - City and Guilds; Levels 2 and 3).

The first class in the cabinet shop was a similar exercise to the O level exam above.

We were given pine. Within minutes, as I advised the tutor, " I now remember why I gave up woodworking after second year at school!"

However, as things progressed and hardwood became the norm, I was a lot happier with the quality I could produce.

The school/O level responses above certainly evoke a lot of memories.

I don't remember being shown how to sharpen a chisel or plane blade in the school woodworking. Likewise how to set up wooden planes properly. I remember how difficult it was to get something planed flat and square being a right pain!

Another memory was two of us were side by side turning some wood, when there was an almighty bang from the very large window on the other side of the lathes. Brown trousers job! The guy next to me had a catch and his gouge took off and attacked the window! How the window didn't shatter still amazes me.

I continued with O level metal work; applied mechanics; technical drawing. Staggering what we did particularly in metal work compared to what they are allowed to do these days.

My father made a pistol crossbow in his last year of school in the 70's as a mix of woodwork and metalwork, We found the diagrams the other day while clearing out some stuff and the crossbow is still kicking about somewhere.

You'd never get away with that now.

I remember one day my master asking if I was there for the lunchtime. Yes, why? He passed me two blocks of elm, about 15" x 6" square. I need a table lamp by this afternoon - do one for yourself, but I need mine first. Be careful, I can't stay. He'd always made us plane stuff octagonal, but he knew I wasn't about to do it. It got done.
We went to school on Saturday mornings. One morning he said he didn't know where my life would take me, but I needed speed excercises. He handed me a pile of wood and said he needed a coffee table by lunchtime, but I didn't need to lacquer it. :shock: I found out years later that he had promised one for a church fete on the Sunday. :D

Glad to see this challenge is bringing out some happy memories! I have great respect for anyone who can supervise 30 adolescents armed with sharp tools and get through the lesson without bloodshed. And if some of them picked up some skills they retain decades letter, that's no mean feat.

Andrewf":2iozeafo said:
That looks just like the exam piece I had for my o level in 1979.

How did you get on? Did you finish in time?

This post has taken me back to my schooldays. Friday afternoons were woodwork with Mr Pocock. A good way to end the week. I can remember having to do test pieces but I can't remember an O Level test...........
I've just checked my O level certificate and the reason I can't remember is because I never took it! Now looking at my school reports I see that there is an exam mark for each term, so those must be the tests I can remember.
As we progressed through the school the emphasis turned more towards metalwork, workshop practice and technical drawing, so that's what I took as O Levels. I've still got a pair of calipers that were made as one of the test pieces. The other item I can remember was a tin box with sloping sides, soldered corner joints and wire rolled top edges.
Happy Days
Brian

OK, I had a go at this today. I didn't take many photos (and those I did take are poor quality) which is a shame as it would have produced a few laughs. Anyway I will post what I have. Now, where did I put that list of excuses ...

I made a couple of decisions to start with.
I started by cutting off the 8 inch piece, but decided to keep the 3 inch and 4 inch pieces in one until I had cut all the joints. I figured it would be easier than trying to cut joinery on the end of very small pieces. I think that was a good decision, but it did come back to bite me later. (There, that has built up some suspense to keep you reading).

My next decision was to mark everything up before going any further. Busy work perhaps but, this being a schoolboy project, I was anxious to avoid schoolboy errors. Also I found this surprisingly ... not difficult exactly, but not the way I have become used to working. I rarely measure anything on actual projects, I just lay things out so they look right and cut things to fit each other. Making things to a fixed size seems alien to me now. Take the dovetails for example. I normally lay them out by eye, or use dividers. Either way I neither know nor care what size they are. For this exercise that would not do, so I had to change the way I work.

Here are the marked up pieces:
MarkedUp.png

At this point I checked the clock for the first time. Yikes! I had spent 30 minutes piddling about with a pencil & marking knife and now I was way behind schedule.

I started by cutting the dovetails, and here I made my first mistakes. I don't own a dovetail saw. I usually use a tenon saw but I recently bought a 32 TPI Zona saw and I decided I would use that. Here's a tip for you: in an exam, don't use tools you have not used before.

The Zona saw produces a smooth cut and a fine kerf. Very fine. Too fine. The blades on my coping saw and my fret saw would not go into the Zona saw kerf which complicated the removal of the waste. I decided chopping it out with a chisel would take too long, so I used my tenon saw to put a thicker kerf down the middle of the waste and used a coping saw from there. Not a big issue, but stupid to have to sort out issues like that in an "exam".
CentralKerf.png

Having cut the tails, they were visibly wrong despite the time I had spent on the layout. How did that happen? I don't know but you can see the 2 tails are nowhere near the same size. So I had to waste time trying to correct that. I got it better, but not 100%, before moving on to cut the pins.
OddTails.png

Another mistake on the tails was that the angles were not consistent. I was unable to track properly with the Zona saw. I did find it difficult to make adjustments to a cut using a comparatively flimsy saw. Again, I should have stuck to tools I am familiar with. Not a fault in the saw, the fault was in my use of the saw.

After rough-cutting the waste from between the pins with the coping saw, and before cleaning out the last of the waste from the shoulders, I quickly tested the fit of the two boards to get an idea of how much clean up & fettling I was in for. First look was promising so I just cut out the rest of the waste and carried on without tackling the fit any further at this stage.
TestFit.png

I was now over half way through at this point, 100 mins frittered away and 80 minutes left. One joint done and two to go.

Next up I tackled the bridle joint. I don't remember cutting a bridle joint before so made up the technique as I went along. I decided to cut the recesses in the horizontal piece entirely with a chisel, as they were not deep. I made exagerated knife walls at the sides and then pared out the waste between them with a 25mm chisel. That seemed to go OK. The joint goes together lovely, feeling "just right" when pushed together by hand, but it is gappy at the top. Oh well, I don't know how to fix that on a joint that is not glued, so move on.
GappyBridle.png

At least the bridle joint didn't take too long, so I had 50 minutes left for the M&T.

The mortice & tenon is another example where my usual "make it fit" approach didn't work for this exercise. Usually I size the mortice to suit the chisel I will cut it with, but here I had to select a chisel to suit the required size of the mortice. Also I normally cut the mortice and clean it up (possibly changing its size) before cutting the tenon to suit. Again, that doesn't work when their required sizes are specified. Not big issues, but more care was called for.

I chopped out the mortices, and then compared this to how I had originally marked out the tenons:
CheckMT.png

Quite close but I would need to make some slight adjustments to my cut lines. 30 minutes left so I have to press on but I don't feel too pushed for time.

After cutting the tenons I found they didn't fit at all and I had to spend precious minutes adjusting things with a chisel. Not an impressive sight, I assure you, and when they went together there were definite gaps. Disappointing. I normally do better with this type of joint.

At this point I had 15 minutes left. Lots of time, so decided to clean things up before final assembly and this is where things started to go awry. I rubbed a plane over the wood to remove the worst of my marking out lines. When I came to the vertical part of the bridle joint I realised I had forgotten to cut the chamfers. I tried doing one with a No. 4 plane and it was not good so I adopted Andy's technique and used a chisel. One of the corners split off quite badly so I ended up with a bigger chamfer and bigger mess on that corner. I was spoiling the job right at the end.

Then came the biggest comedy moment of all when I came to assemble everything. I had never got back to testing the fit of the dovetails so I was grateful that they went together without needing fettling, but I couldn't find the tenon piece to assemble the M&T. How is that possible, I had it a couple of minutes ago. I was searching in the shavings under my bench when I remembered that it was still attached to the pins part of my dovetail joint. I had to quickly cut them apart and trim the tenon piece to length. So I went from being fairly relaxed to a bit of a flap over the last 10 minutes, and only time for a minimal final clean up with a plane.

The final result is not too bad. Not what I would want on a piece of furniture, but no really major mistakes. Some gappy joints and innaccurate chamfers but there we are.
Dovetail1.png

Dovetail2.png

GappyMT.png

PlanView.png

I did learn a lot from this. As I mentioned, I have drifted into working methods that are more pragmatic than accurate and working to a drawing now seems a bit odd. Working to a timetable is something I never do so that was also strange. Taking the time at the start to lay everything out and mark up the joints was beneficial in the long run but it was a bit of a shock how long that took, so for much of the time I felt I had to play catch-up.

Attachments

• MarkedUp.png
    MarkedUp.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 227
  • CentralKerf.png
    CentralKerf.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 227
  • OddTails.png
    OddTails.png
    182 KB · Views: 227
  • TestFit.png
    TestFit.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 227
  • GappyBridle.png
    GappyBridle.png
    490.1 KB · Views: 227
  • CheckMT.png
    CheckMT.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Dovetail1.png
    Dovetail1.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 227
  • GappyMT.png
    GappyMT.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 227
  • PlanView.png
    PlanView.png
    945.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Dovetail2.png
    Dovetail2.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 227
Brilliant! I feel your pain and anxiety. Three hours really doesn't allow much spare time at all, does it, and making to a set of dimensions is a bit odd. Your joints look tidier than mine and you finished so that has got to be a good pass, I think. At least, if I was devising the marking scheme it would be.

Thanks for having a go - it sounds like you enjoyed it.

And I love the way you were searching for the missing piece!

AndyT":1lxgozdq said:
Thanks for having a go - it sounds like you enjoyed it.
Yes, I did enjoy it, very much. Thanks for suggesting it.

When my weekly woodwork evening class starts again in the autumn I might take this along and see if anyone there is willing to have a go. The class is more of a club really so we can do what we want and I think this exercise could make an amusing evening.

I really want to do this, but it would be my first for everything hand tool wise. On that basis, I probably won't post the results. I may also do it more than once. Of course, I don't have time for faffing about with non-productive work, but as a learning experience it seems to be really useful. Have family staying, so not this week...

I'm watching it all with much interest, so thank you everyone for the inspiration.

I did O level and A level in woodwork at the local grammar school - finished in 1972 but I don’t remember this at O level. For A level I had to do a bedside cabinet, carving, lathe work and veneering which was graded by an external assessor at exam time. The actual written part of the exam consisted of technical drawing, woodworm etc and the history of chairs. I was very lucky in that me and the other lad doing A level were allowed into Nostell Priory to turn the Chippendale chairs upside down to examine the joints and make sketches. Oh for a digital camera at the time.

My school allowed me to take woodwork, metalwork and technical drawing. Age 14 I had to make the choice of woodwork or metalwork - I chose the latter. It is only in the last few years I have built a workshop and done some proper (non-diy) woodwork.

Talking to my daughter and son-in-law at the weekend they were astounded at the trust placed in 11-16 year olds in the late 1960s. Lathes, milling machines, forge, grinding wheels, bandsaws, etc etc.

No way would that be allowed with (over-protective) current attitudes to education. In 5 years I dont remember a single accident (bar minor cuts and bruises). No wonder we are a nation of shopkeepers - as Napolean might have remarked.

You know, the school I went to was seriously kitted out and was supposedly one of the best ‘practical’ schools in Wales but I can only recall using the bandsaw for a few minutes and doing a bit with the CNC Router and Laser Cutter as far as machines went in the 5 years I was there.

What I do remember was really mind-numbing paperwork for about 95% of DT lessons going over briefs, specifications, stockholder requirements and other really irrelevant fluff that would just deter you from wanting to get into the practical trades.

I think teacher quality has probably got a lot to do with it, looking back he was a right spanner who thought he knew the lot but if he couldn’t get the CNC machines to do it he hadn’t a clue about proper ways of working.

Sorry for the rant!

Clwydianrange":24pzhi1q said:
I did O level and A level in woodwork at the local grammar school - finished in 1972 but I don’t remember this at O level.

My year as well. I don't remember an O level practical either. I had discovered beer and women by that time so that might account for it. :D I remember looking at he bits of wood and trying to ascertain what might be expected, but one of the larger pieces was about 3/8" wider than the other. It became obvious at the start of the exam - they were to be dovetailed, but at an angle. The extra width was to allow for the angle.

I do remember one incident/accident in the Woodwork class..... I must of been 15 I reckon, as were the other lads in my class. We were all doing different types of projects but one of the other lads was turning a 12" segmented bowl....and somehow, it came out of the lathe, bounced on the lathe bed, shattered and parts of it hit him in the face. He had a nasty cut on his cheek and they just took him off to see the school nurse.

There were no repercussions as far as I know. He was back at school within a week showing everyone his 4 stitches. It was just put down as an accident....Different times I suppose.

Distinterior":3cs431gz said:
... He was back at school within a week showing everyone his 4 stitches. It was just put down as an accident....Different times I suppose.

My friend had three times that number when I decked him, putting his bottom row of teeth through his lip playing rugby. Seven inside, five outside. I played on and the ref allowed the try. :D

Looks like an interesting challenge - might have a go myself sometime to see if I can manage it in the alloted time including set up. I assume it's intended as a hand tools challenge but that's not me so why not have a go with a modern approach? Will need to get some practice in with my Leigh jig for the dovetails first though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back