NYW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dewey i saw one on TV a week or so ago, he was making a bench for a chop saw. Interesting :shock:

Bean

Was that the portable chop saw station or the Mitre Bench and storage for the shop?
The workshop one had the radial arm and morticing machine on the same unit.

Dewy
The one with the Morticing Machine on it, I'm interested as I will be building some benches to replace my folding benches and saw horse....Its a bit exciting :D

Bean

I intend doing the same Bean.
I was about to clear all the mess out and start building new benches when I had an accident over a year ago and am waiting for the last of 6 operations to put me right.
At least it's given me time to design, redesign and design again the way I want the shop so nothing is in the way of anything else as it is now.
My mitre saw is already on a temp bench with a similar fence and stop to the one Norm made but the bench jointer is in front and to the side so I have to reach over to adjust the stops and get the wood in.
This should be improved with a double height bench at that point so the main top is level with the outfield table on the jointer.
This table is intended to be 12 ft long to fill the space between the side door and the rear with a similar place made for the morticer and drill press when lifted out of the storage space underneath.
There will be chutes behind and below the jointer and mitre saw to lead the waste into a bin under the bench.
If you saw the work table he made with raising casters for moving, I have been designing a base for my router table along the same lines so it can be wheeled out for use then away when finished.
None of this can start before I make a shed to put all the gardening tools in that are in the way at present.
Why did I have to buy such a big shredder to go with the two mowers and greenhouse equipment? lol :lol:

Dewy
Uncannily simular situation. Now the weather has deteriated I can move HIDs Greenhouse to its new home, then I can build a shed to store the various bikes and garden equipment, which should just leave me and my wood behind. A bench will be my first task as I am fed up of working off two workmates. My table saw is lifted into place on one when i need it as are the thicknesser (30kg) & mitre saw.
I was thinking along the lines of the little shop or a modification of ian dalziels, to allow for a longer outfeed table on my thicknesser. I will need a router table,but I am unsure of the one you mention as i do not get to see much TV and have missed all of the NYW programs. I occasionally get to see one if i can get home on a friday pm for 30 mins, before picking up urchins from school.

I can appreciate how you feel re you accident as I have been laid low a serious illness for the last 3 years (3 ops & one to come), and still need to be careful. I hope your ops go well.

Bean

The table I mentioned is not a router table but a worktable that has the casters able to be lifted to stop the table moving then with the release of a string each end the casters drop down and lock allowing the table to be moved.
http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?0207.jpg
It's a matter of poaching the idea to put on a low table onto which I can secure my router table.

Dewy
I had a look at that link and it looks good, I have thought of using a flat hollow door as a extra work table and simply lowering it out of the roof space on cables and pullies, just like the clothes dryers of old. This way it should not get in the way when I do not need it. Of course it needs careful pipe runs and light positioning but it should work well.........I hope :|

Bean

Apart from the workbench I made 10 years ago most of the things in my garage are old household things, some of which I had when my father died and I didnt want to throw them away.
An old sideboard is used for storage with a chipboard to added for work space.
Old kitchen units and my eldest sons woodworking bench holds my bandsaw because it is low. He has no use for it now at 36. ;)
I will keep the couple of cupboards with drawers and doors as they are great for tool storage.
Much was just a temporary bodge up so will have to go.
it's whatever works for you that counts, not what others tell you.

I have a bench which is made from some old lockers from my wifes school, the top is a length of worktop which was surplus to requirements, a new steel cupboard which was over ordered for my office and was free if I got it out of the way fast before we had an inportant visit at work. the other storage is an old free standing kitchen unit which my neighbor wanted me to take to the tip for her, Hand tool storage in on a paper sorting tray from my wifes school, suitably modified with shelves and hung on the wall.

You tend to make do with things for a long time, but eventually they start to show limitations and you replace or modify to suit what you are doing at the time. Which is the point we seem to have reached.

Bean

Bean":1w5dh7f4 said:
Dewy
Now the weather has deteriated I can move HIDs Greenhouse to its new home, then I can build a shed to store the various bikes and garden equipment, Bean

Need a hand?

Tony":224kksqm said:
Need a hand?
That's like pouring salt on a wound when I have only had one arm to use for over a year. :lol:
Another 3 months wait for the last of 6 operations to put it right. :wink:
Roll on the spring when I can really start what I have been planning since before the accident. :D

I see that the project Norm finished today looks like 2 glass fronted bookcases with three or four low cupboard doors between the two sets of shelves.
The last project in the 2005 series is on 16th and 18th November.

Tony in return I can only provide Beer and Food.
I will be buying a shed soon I will let you know when.

Dewy I have had a serious liver problem for 3 years now, with the aid of drugs which have wreaked havoc elswere I can almost last a day at moderate rates of activity, I am waiting for an op on my shoulder, at which point the severe pain involved in planing wood will hopefully go away. I did no woodworking for 2 years and had to give up on the sports i had loved so much for 20 years. Things will get better, Just remember what louis Stevenson said ' Its better to travel hopefully, than to arrive' (I think) Sober moment over.

I missed norm again on friday, I didnt get home in time, I may start to enjoy his show, should I get to see more

Bean

That makes two of us waiting for a shoulder operation.
I broke both shoulders over a year ago and have had five operations so far with a sixth and final one (hopefully) in the next 3 months.
Until they replace the right shoulder with stainless steel I cant even pick my nose with my right hand. :lol:

Eck Dewey :shock: Ooooouuuuccchhhhh

I've been scornful of NYW in the past but the few I have seen of him (workshop Benches) seem OK.

Bean

Back