NVR Switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Each
Anybody know a reliable source for an NVR switch suitable for switching a 2200 watt router? It is going to be mounted on a router table.
Axminster have one at about £42 and Poolewood have one at about £23 that includes a three pin socket in the body.
I have never had to buy one of these before. Everything I use with an NVR switch came with it.
Do you guys know where I can find one at a sensible price or is the Axminster one really the best deal for the job?
Cheers.

SF

I've got the axminster 2KW NVR switch - not big enough for your router I know - but I'ts been fine so far, hopefully its big brother is too. I have it mounted on the wall behind the router table at eye height rather than fumbling around under the table, and I then run it into a 2 way 13-amp socket that both the 1300 watt router and dust extractor (old aquavac) both plug into.

m

Thanks MP. Just the sort of thing I wanted to know.
If no-one else has any ideas I think Axminster will be getting a call soon!Regards.

SF

SF...

Trend make a half decent one.... I've been running my Freud on it over 2 years.... never missed a trick...

Midnight
I'll have a look at that one as well. Thanks for your suggestion.
I completely forgot about Trend. They make so many gizmos but switches did not spring to mind.

SF

Think Trend's NVR switch is only rated 1850W and 8 amp.
I'm sure some of the big electrical trade places may stock them.

Rgds

Noel

I missed that one when I looked at the Axminster site. Looks similar to the one Poolewood have.
But does it have a rating, Gidon, that you know of?

SF

Just been up to the shed to check. Amazingly it's not quoted on the outside but opened it up to have a look inside and it has a rating of 10A - which by my calculations will be good up to 2400W. I'm sure Axminster will be able to advise if you want to double check.
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":3p82l21y said:
Just been up to the shed to check. Amazingly it's not quoted on the outside but opened it up to have a look inside and it has a rating of 10A - which by my calculations will be good up to 2400W.
Gidon

Yep. I agree with your calculations. Even at a voltage of 230v a 2200watt motor should still only run up 9.5amps. I doubt if a router that size would run at maximum load most of the time anyway so I reckon you have solved my little problem, Gidon. Thanks for your help and thanks for all the other replies from you guys.
Now where is my credit card!

SF

What would the situation be if you wanted your router and dust extractor to come on at the same time?

I have a T5 (850watt) router and a T30AF (1200watt) extractor, is it possible to get both to start and stop using a NVR switch mounted on a router table or wall?

Spud
Yes, it's possible but you really need a dust extractor to run on for a few seconds after the relevant machine has stopped so that the tubing is cleared of the remains of the dust and chippings produced by the router.
Connecting the two motors to the same NVR switch will not necessarily achieve this.
I get over this problem by connecting the extractor via a 16 amp pull-cord switch that is sighted over my table saw and router table. The NVR switch on the router table just switches the router.
I suppose this might not be such a good idea if you are using the router freehand, though.
It is not vital to have an NVR switch on an extractor because it does not have much about it that can harm you if it starts up when you are not expecting it. So how about sighting a switch for the extractor near the one for your router but close enough to flick them both on or off at the same time?
Just my thoughts.

SF

hi Spud,
I use the Axminster NVR with my Freud and it works fine
I plug the Freud into the NVR and the NVR into the power take off on the
T30,works a treat :D

TX

Guys

10A - which by my calculations will be good up to 2400W is WRONG as the power factor is always less than 1 (see below)

For DC or instantaneous AC across a purely resistive load this would be OK but AC power is not as straightforward as there is a phase differenece between voltage and current caused by inductance (or capacitance) in the system - motors are inductors.

For an AC system with inductive/cpacitvie as well as resistive loads
P=(V cos(wt+phi))(I*cos(wt)) where w =2*pi*f

this reduces to

P=V*I*cos(phi) where phi is the power factor which is between 0 and 1

Power factor is sometimes stated on the nameplate - especially on larger 3-phase motors

So without knowing the power factor of the kit, you cannot calculate the AC power (unless the load is purely resistive where phi = 0 and so cos(phi) = 1 thus V*I is OK).

Tony":3uu5ik3z said:
Apparently fluent Greek or summat :roll:
Tony, it's Monday morning! Give us a break, mate! :shock: :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Who can just about cope with 7+5 this morning, but only if she takes her shoes off... :oops:

sorry Alf :oops: :oops:

But it is a safety issue as the previous posters were over estimating the power handling of their NVR switches.

Cheers

Tony

Who is an early riser

Back