NVR switch for Router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi All

I have seen a lot of DIY router table videos in the past two weeks.

They all install the NVR switch.

I looked online and there are various options:
1. Kind you solder the wires to their terminals
2. Kind that has sockets and plugs
3. Kind with the push and twist kill switches
4. Kind with the flappy kill switches.

They range anywhere from £10 to £70.

Is it a case of get what you pay for or is there some order in the chaos?

I just installed one in a pillar drill. It has a big flappy off switch and uses spade connectors, which are not difficult to work with. About £15 from Axminster.
Some of the switches have a higher current rating than others, while others will have extra terminals for microswitches. Some also come in a nice enclosure, which is neccessary unless you can build the switch into the machine. These features may account for some of the price difference.

I have a Charnwood Router Table and when I bought it I got the Charnwood NVR switch at the same time. It does the job fine and I have a 2000watt router mounted in the table.
A reasonable price too!
Here's a link......

https://www.charnwood.net/products/prod ... -240v-w026

Edit.
One of the advantages of this type of NVR switch is, you dont need to cut the plug off your router to connect it up. Then, if you need to remove the router from the table to use hand held, it's just a case of un plugging it from the NVR switch and off you go...! I have plenty of different routers, so it's not an issue for me but if you only have one or two, this does save you the hassle of refitting a plug when you need to use it out of the table.

I have the flappy Axminster one, and it seems to work ok, although it does buzz when it's in the off mode? not really a problem for me as I unplug it after using it anyway.

I've recently ordered one of these for another project, seems good for the price. I wanted to avoid the flappy paddler thing this time as I find I always smack into it, and it ends up falling off.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Just a note Transatlantic......You do know that NVR switch you linked to is only rated at 4 amps I assume...?
Too small for a decent sized router or anything over 900watts...!

transatlantic":31rq8jsy said:
I have the flappy Axminster one, and it seems to work ok, although it does buzz when it's in the off mode? not really a problem for me as I unplug it after using it anyway.

I've recently ordered one of these for another project, seems good for the price. I wanted to avoid the flappy paddler thing this time as I find I always smack into it, and it ends up falling off.

An NVR switch does not buzz in the off position. Take it out and carefully check your connections, at last one of them is wrong. :shock:

Distinterior":2a6bd2br said:
Just a note Transatlantic......You do know that NVR switch you linked to is only rated at 4 amps I assume...?
Too small for a decent sized router or anything over 900watts...!
Apologies, I will be using this with a 620w electric planer. I didn't think to check the rating for ops usage.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Thank you all. This clears things up for me.

The Charnwood one looks good, however is out of stock.
I found a 15A one on banggood, which doesn't have any socket for the router plug, which isn't hard to do I suppose.

sunnybob":221xv47n said:
transatlantic":221xv47n said:

An NVR switch does not buzz in the off position. Take it out and carefully check your connections, at last one of them is wrong. :shock:

It's kind of hard to get wrong. It has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. If I had wired it incorrectly, then I wouldn't be seeing the NVR functionality working, which I do see.

transatlantic":py6jz68l said:
It's kind of hard to get wrong. It has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. If I had wired it incorrectly, then I wouldn't be seeing the NVR functionality working, which I do see.

Bob is correct that the NVR does not buzz when in the OFF mode. It's likely wired correctly, but there could be an internal fault with the single pole contactor that is built into the switch. When a transformer buzzes, it is usually because the iron core is delaminating. When a contactor or relay buzzes, it is usually a poor connection trying to energize the coil. I would replace it as soon as possible, and unplugging it when not being used is a good idea.

The live and neutral in to an NVR switch control a mini transformer, which acts as an electric magnet to hold the motor connections closed.
When connected correctly, It is impossible for that electric coil to hum.
Check that the live goes to L and the neutral goes to N .
You have them reversed, allowing current through the coil, causing it to hum. This does not affect "the functionality" as you call it, but it is still wrong.

sunnybob":1rw8r05y said:
The live and neutral in to an NVR switch control a mini transformer, which acts as an electric magnet to hold the motor connections closed.
When connected correctly, It is impossible for that electric coil to hum.
Check that the live goes to L and the neutral goes to N .
You have them reversed, allowing current through the coil, causing it to hum. This does not affect "the functionality" as you call it, but it is still wrong.

There is not designation for L/N, I thought it didn't matter as it was AC?

102532_inset1_xl.jpg

I bought a pillar drill from axminster with exactly the same fault, loud buzzing when the switch is off. That one was labelled, and had been connected wrongly at the factory. I swapped the wires and the buzzing stopped.
Its not about AC, it about the current not being able to get to the coil.
A couple years earlier I also bought a charnwood belt sander that started as soon the wall plug was switched on, and would only stop while the off button was pressed. let go of the off and it started again. That one was completely wired backwards, from the factory.

sunnybob":21cp4f7g said:
I bought a pillar drill from axminster with exactly the same fault, loud buzzing when the switch is off. That one was labelled, and had been connected wrongly at the factory. I swapped the wires and the buzzing stopped.
A couple years earlier I also bought a charnwood belt sander that started as soon the wall plug was switched on, and would only stop while the off button was pressed. let go of the off and it started again. That one was completely wired backwards, from the factory.

Look at the diagram. There is no designation. Unless it's something with the numbering that I am unaware of?

Surely if it was that important, it would be labeled?

I've told you that switch SHOULD NOT hum when turned off. I've told you how to cure it. Its entirely up to you how you proceed from here.

Maybe consider a foot switch instead of an NVR, I use mine when I use my router, really nice to have both hands free hand to turn it on and off.

transatlantic":onxfcix5 said:
sunnybob":onxfcix5 said:

Look at the diagram. There is no designation. Unless it's something with the numbering that I am unaware of?

Surely if it was that important, it would be labeled?

I just installed one of those. Mine doesn't hum.
If you find the datasheet - it's available somewhere on the Axminster website - you'll see that the live and neutral are supposed to go to specific lugs.

Live in to 23
Neutral in to 13
Live out from 24
Neutral out from 14

p.s. it probably uses spade connectors, so can swap then over without any tools required.

sunnybob":130lxn15 said:
transatlantic":130lxn15 said:

I have a Triton Oscillating plugged into my NVR. It does have a its own NVR switch so I have to switch on the NVR then the oscillator. If I switch off at the oscillator then the NVR emanates a constant hum until such times as I hit the off on the NVR too.

Latest posts

Back