NVR switch for Router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonsdale73":38eybhw2 said:
sunnybob":38eybhw2 said:
transatlantic":38eybhw2 said:
I have the flappy Axminster one, and it seems to work ok, although it does buzz when it's in the off mode? not really a problem for me as I unplug it after using it anyway.

I've recently ordered one of these for another project, seems good for the price. I wanted to avoid the flappy paddler thing this time as I find I always smack into it, and it ends up falling off.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

An NVR switch does not buzz in the off position. Take it out and carefully check your connections, at last one of them is wrong. :shock:

I have a Triton Oscillating plugged into my NVR. It does have a its own NVR switch so I have to switch on the NVR then the oscillator. If I switch off at the oscillator then the NVR emanates a constant hum until such times as I hit the off on the NVR too.

That is normal, because when switched on the coil will produce a hum, although the hum "volume" relates to the build quality of the switch.

I have a speed control on my router table that is wired in after the NVR. I keep the speed control at medium speed and turn the machine on and off with the NVR to make sure there is no possible risk while changing bits.

samhay":398cpli3 said:
transatlantic":398cpli3 said:
sunnybob":398cpli3 said:
I bought a pillar drill from axminster with exactly the same fault, loud buzzing when the switch is off. That one was labelled, and had been connected wrongly at the factory. I swapped the wires and the buzzing stopped.
Its not about AC, it about the current not being able to get to the coil.
A couple years earlier I also bought a charnwood belt sander that started as soon the wall plug was switched on, and would only stop while the off button was pressed. let go of the off and it started again. That one was completely wired backwards, from the factory.

Look at the diagram. There is no designation. Unless it's something with the numbering that I am unaware of?

Surely if it was that important, it would be labeled?

I just installed one of those. Mine doesn't hum.
If you find the datasheet - it's available somewhere on the Axminster website - you'll see that the live and neutral are supposed to go to specific lugs.

Live in to 23
Neutral in to 13
Live out from 24
Neutral out from 14

p.s. it probably uses spade connectors, so can swap then over without any tools required.

Well - it just so happens that is how I have it wired. However, I can't see a data sheet on the Axminster website. Are we talking about the same switch? https://www.axminstertools.com/kedu-kjd ... 1ph-102532

The closest data sheet I can find is here, and no mention of L/N order.
https://www.e-switch.com/product-catalo ... n-switches

Those switches both have the same part number - KJD17.
Having taken another look, I see that there are a number of wiring diagrams for these on the internet. Some specify the order of the wiring, while others don't. Sorry for the red red herring - for a simple NVR switch, it shouldn't matter whether live goes to 23 and netural to 13 or vice versa.
Is your switch humming or buzzing?

KEDU-KJD17B-NVR-Switch 1.jpg
KEDU KJD17B NVR Switch 2.jpg

KEDU-KJD17B-NVR-Switch 3.jpg

KEDU KJD17B NVR Switch 4.jpg

Attachments

• KEDU-KJD17B-NVR-Switch 1.jpg
    KEDU-KJD17B-NVR-Switch 1.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 238
  • KEDU KJD17B NVR Switch 2.jpg
    KEDU KJD17B NVR Switch 2.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 236
  • KEDU-KJD17B-NVR-Switch 3.jpg
    KEDU-KJD17B-NVR-Switch 3.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 239
  • KEDU KJD17B NVR Switch 4.jpg
    KEDU KJD17B NVR Switch 4.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 236
I'll have to take a look in the morning, but if mine has the A1 connector, I didn't use it and the switch works as expected (although that doesn't seem to make sense as the coil would not be in circuit).
Mine had the same paddle switch, but perhaps the NVR part is different.

Hum/light buzz. I don't know. It's noticable, put it that way :)

If you follow the link, the Axminster one has 4 terminals. Not 5

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Yes, I just took another look at the photo on the Axminster site.
The photo on this datasheet shows an empty spade connector hole on A1, so I guess some models of the switch have an internal connection instead:
https://www.axminstertools.com/media/do ... heet_1.pdf

I think of hum and buzz as different. Buzzing is higher frequency and may mean you have a failing switch, loose connection or arcing. Hum is lower frequency and usually relatively harmless, except for the nuisance.

I understand that the 5-terminal version of the KEDU KJD17B NVR Switch is to allow a second push-to-break OFF switch to be added between A1 and 24 in situations where it would be useful.

I expect the A1 is useful for microswitches too. These can be put in series as any one of them will make the coil go open when not closed.

sunnybob":2wcd7egt said:
I have a speed control on my router table that is wired in after the NVR. I keep the speed control at medium speed and turn the machine on and off with the NVR to make sure there is no possible risk while changing bits.

Now that's interesting. My lathe doesn't have variable speed and I was wondering if it was somehow possible to incorporate it somehow?

Lonsdale73":2l202opp said:
sunnybob":2l202opp said:

Now that's interesting. My lathe doesn't have variable speed and I was wondering if it was somehow possible to incorporate it somehow?

Unlikely, your lathe is probably an induction motor. A router is almost always a brushed universal motor.

Could I jump in with a question, please.
I have a teknatool nova dvr3000 lathe, so an unusual motor. Can I put an NVR emergency switch between the supply and the lathe? My thinking is that I can have the switch my side of the workpiece, rather than having to reach across to switch off in a hurry.
Thanks in advance.
Greg

Latest posts

Back