NVR or Foot switch on router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
So, after lots of soul searching and justifying to myself I treated the workshop to the Rutlands router table, lift and router motor. Very nice machine and of good quality materials. My only gripe is there is no NVR switch supplied, you reach under the table to switch motor unit on / off. So I was about to order a NVR swith (the plug in type with trailing socket) then thought a hard wired one would be better as the router will not be coming out of the table, so how easy is it to wire up, also has anyone used a foot switch on a router table, if so is it beneficial?

My only gripe is there is no NVR switch supplied, you reach under the table to switch motor unit on / off.
That is exactly how I control my Kreg table, just a simple switch mounted so it is easily reached. Once you start using the table you will find a switch is ideal compared to a clunky NVR type. I just use a simple metal clad switch Axiom Metal Clad 10A Switch 1 Gang 1 Way | Toolstation

If you are doing cuts that do not go all the way to the end, ie stopped then once you reach that final position I switch off the router and wait till it stops before moving my work piece, this is easy with one hand using a switch but not so smooth using an NVR and any slight unwanted movement can take a chunk out of your workpiece.

The only downside of using a standard switch is that because the router stays on and in the event of a power cut or interuption it will start immediately the power comes back on, not necessarily an issue in a one man workshop but an NVR cuts power and has to be pressed so a better safety operation imo.

Looks like many of the commercial trailing socket types are rated for up to 2200w, my motor is 2400w si I will have to be careful which one I go for.

Looks like many of the commercial trailing socket types are rated for up to 2200w, my motor is 2400w si I will have to be careful which one I go for.

The difference between a 2200w router and a 2400w router is less than 1 amp in current draw......As these type of NVR switches have 13amp plug outlets on them, I'm sure they will work fine......I've been using my Charnwood switch with a 2400w router for years now and its had no detrimental effect on the NVR switch 👍

The only downside of using a standard switch is that because the router stays on and in the event of a power cut or interuption it will start immediately the power comes back on, not necessarily an issue in a one man workshop but an NVR cuts power and has to be pressed so a better safety operation imo.
Yes proper NVR switching is a requirement in an industrial place of work but in the home workshop where the person using the equipment is also in charge of utilities then not so important. Then think when did you last have a power cut, and if you do then for me it is automatic to turn off anything I have been using before looking to see what has gone wrong with the supply.

Yes proper NVR switching is a requirement in an industrial place of work but in the home workshop where the person using the equipment is also in charge of utilities then not so important. Then think when did you last have a power cut, and if you do then for me it is automatic to turn off anything I have been using before looking to see what has gone wrong with the supply.
Yeah that's why I qualified what I said Ray, I agree though we do get spells here when short power blips are common, anything from a second or two to many minutes or longer. I have a granddaughter sometimes floating around so in my case I always use nvr switches and I have a trailing version if I need it. They are reasonably cheap anyway. You can fairly easily buy a replacement machine NVR and make your own whether fixed or a fly lead by using a plastic electrical box, the wiring is simple enough.
My workshop has no windows which can mean having to grab a torch if the door is down and as that is electric it's a faff to wind it up by hand.

Here's mine, it's positioned within easy reach of my right hand and works very well.

IMG_20201226_155251.jpg

What about something like this ?
That is similar to the one I use for hand power tools like the sander and trimmer. It has a double socket. One for the vacuum and one for the tool so it switches on both together and turns them off when I release my foot. I have mounted it onto a piece of wood slightly wider than the base so I can still kick it about the floor to where I want it without knocking it over and it raises it enough so that I have to deliberately raise my foot to step on it.

That is exactly how I control my Kreg table, just a simple switch mounted so it is easily reached. Once you start using the table you will find a switch is ideal compared to a clunky NVR type. I just use a simple metal clad switch Axiom Metal Clad 10A Switch 1 Gang 1 Way | Toolstation

If you are doing cuts that do not go all the way to the end, ie stopped then once you reach that final position I switch off the router and wait till it stops before moving my work piece, this is easy with one hand using a switch but not so smooth using an NVR and any slight unwanted movement can take a chunk out of your workpiece.
This is definitely bad advice, a NVR switch is a must and is required by law in industry.

I’ve just had a read of the details of the foot switch above and it seems like it doesn’t latch. The note say it can be reconfigured to disconnect the power when pressed. The seller suggests that it can be used in conjunction with an NVR. I can’t be sure but my guess is that when you set it up like that you can have the best of both worlds. You can turn the device on and off with the NVR that as well as the stop switch on the NVR a tap on the foot switch will also kill the power. Because there’s an NVR in line it won’t come back on after a power failure .
I run all my power tools through a home-made NVR box that powers two sockets. One for the device and one for the Henry shop vac. When I press the button to start the NVR it makes the power tool live and it can be started with its switch or its own NVR e.g. the tablesaw but the Henry goes as well. I like the audio cue that the scary Spiny Cutty thing is live.

when I set up my new workshop.....2 metal lathes and 2 wood lathes the plan is to make up a crash /emergency bar along the machine....Full length so if owt goes wrong it's easy to kill the machine.....
Crazy old design, the Colchester Student has the on off switch fitted from the factory direct in line with the chuck.....so to stop it u need to bend over and hit the button.....
I've converted mine to a high level NVR switch, much safer......
Wood lathe users have a look at ur's....some of the switches are also in a bad place....

Whoops. I’ve just bought one! When I saw that there was a version without cables for £24 I decided I owe it to my fingers to have another way to kill the power. I will report back once it has been fitted.

This is definitely bad advice, a NVR switch is a must and is required by law in industry.

Yes proper NVR switching is a requirement in an industrial place of work but in the home workshop
No it is sound advice, if working in your own home workshop then you should be in full control and NVR switches have become a buzz word, in Industry we use either DOL or motor control stations.

I have considered an additional STOP button my my Inca bandsaw. The NVR box is in a really stupid place. I'm thinking that I just need a big red NC switch, of the right rating, in series with the live feed, and then if I bash it the NVR can do the R thing. Have I overlooked anything? I'd still have to reach around the machine to turn it on, but I don't really need an emergency start button.

Back