NVR or Foot switch on router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just need a big red NC switch, of the right rating, in series with the live feed,
With an NVR switch all you need to do is put the E-Stop in series with the normal STOP button and it will perform the same function using the E-Stops N/C contacts. Remember that a true E-Stop will stay operated until released, some just a twist others can have a lock.

With an NVR switch all you need to do is put the E-Stop in series with the normal STOP button and it will perform the same function using the E-Stops N/C contacts. Remember that a true E-Stop will stay operated until released, some just a twist others can have a lock.
Indeed. I was thinking the live feed is more accessible, without having to open up the NVR and make a hole for an extra cable.

Most of these consumer/hobby NVR switches are mechanically operated and these cannot have extra stop switches wired in. One exception I know of is the 5 pin KEDU where the 5 pin is connected to a temperature sensor in the motor and these can have Estops fitted but the ones for plug in loads like routers wont have this 5th pin arrangement.
Generally these cheaper NVR switches are the work of the devil and whilst they meet the safety requirements of NVR, they offer no motor protection and no versatility for extra stop switching.
DOL starters correctly matched to the load current are far far better and versatile

We can all do whatever we wish in our own workshop but I for one feel that the risks in a home workshop can be at least as much or even higher than in an industrial setting sometimes, my reasoning is simple, one person working alone, distraction, loss of concentration, using machinery only occasionally so less familiarity, maybe with less than sharp blades, trailing cables etc. we all take risks sometimes and accidents happen plus there's often no one around to help. Why make a bodge up when it's not too expensive to do it properly?
I think it's better to err on the safe side and that means NVR switches where possible as far as I'm concerned, even the cheap cr*p Chiwanese ones are better than none - just my opinion.

Well initially I have gone for a standard NVR with trailing lead, the thought being I can put something more permanent in the future and use the switch again on something else. I like the idea of a DOL but wouldn't know where to sart.

I have always used NVRs on my router tables, often positioned to be turned off with me knee if the hands are busy.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/auktools-nvr-switch-230v/

I am comfortable with the switch on the router table in easy reach on right hand side, which turns on the router and the vac (plugs in at the back of the table)

BUT, the Rockwell table saw, late 1980's, has a very small toggle switch which I struggle to find sometimes.

Having a read of the thread I will now look into an NVR switch.

@Jaco just to let you know we ship worldwide, a recent review from one of our customers in SA.

Incredible service levels
While the Incra Mast-R-Lift and AUKTools router are fantastic products (5 stars without hesitation), I really want to that thank Wood Workers Workshop for an unbelievably good experience. The online shop was a pleasure to use, the products were delivered in days (and considering that I live 10000 miles away in South Africa, this was nothing short of amazing) and email queries were responded to within hours. I couldn't recommend these guys more highly, even if you live outside the UK!!
Email

Let us know if we can help.

Cheers

Peter

Peter, thank you very much, will bear in mind.
We have 2 electrical wholesalers just around the corner, will have a look at what they stock.
Cheers
Phil

Back