Nuts and fasteners for aluminium tracks and fences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Anyone know where you can get imperial nuts and fasteners for use with American / Canadian products such as Kreg fences and the like. The size is 1/4 20 UNC and looking for half nuts or as the they call them jam nuts and full nets as well as machine screws in various lengths.

eBay is good for nuts and bolts, or your local fastener emporium.

Pete

Hi

Tried all the obvious fastener suppliers and metric is no problems but imperial and they think you are mad. Will look at ebay but with caution!

Hi

May have found some on Ebay, this is always a problem with products from the states and Canada like Kreg, it took a while to find some new allen keys for my dowelmax last year, it uses a 3/32 allen key. Must say metric is easier, all those fractions would be mathematical gymnastics at my age.

Hi

May have found some on Ebay, this is always a problem with products from the states and Canada like Kreg, it took a while to find some new allen keys for my dowelmax last year, it uses a 3/32 allen key. Must say metric is easier, all those fractions would be mathematical gymnastics at my age.
I thought it was people your age telling us whippersnappers that imperial is easy and fractions are easy!

I can recomend South Essex fasteners.....def no prob with UNF or UNC.....loads of weird stuff too..
any anount of brass and St Steel.....
will sell and post 1"s or 2"s...they will even post abroad....
I found if they havn't got they will get it......
really good firm.....even on the phone, they know nut's and bolts.....and other fixings...

@Spectric: IF I remember correctly - by NO means guaranteed! - a few years back I bought a plastic box "kit" of various bits of jig-making hardware - bristol levers, T bolts of various lengths + T nuts (all to fit Axi's own T track), screw knobs, etc, etc. All of the stuff there was UNC or UNF - typical US-type threads (SAE). There was enough stuff in the kit that there was plenty of spare bits n pieces to use separately.

AND I still have in stock some US-sourced model aircraft hardware, so if you only want the odd one or two bits like bolts, lock nuts, etc, drop me a PM and if I have it I'll drop it/them in a Jiffy bag for you.

HTH

Yes, Axminster still sell their jig making kit - an assortment of T bolts, star knobs, threaded inserts and the like - in both 1/4" UNC and M6 versions. However, when last I looked they only had the individual pieces in various metric sizes.

Here is the UNC version, and the other bits are in the same jig making category.

Hi all

thanks for the info, had not looked at jig making kits but that is a good way forward. All my fences and tracks etc use imperial fasteners because an M6 nut will not fit the slots, it needs the 1/4 unc nut that is 7/16 AF.

Hi AES

thanks for the offer, but that Axminster kit sounds like what you purchased and I will order one as it looks like it will solve several issues with jigs and fence attachments I am making.

... All my fences and tracks etc use imperial fasteners because an M6 nut will not fit the slots, it needs the 1/4 unc nut that is 7/16 AF.
An M6 nut is 10mm A/F whereas a ¼" UNC nut is 11.12mm (7/16" nominal) --- so surely an M6 nut will fit in the slot?

The M6 is also 11.55mm across corners so should also be wide enough to be retained in the slot without turning but you may have already found this to not be the case and really mean that the M6 is too small rather than 'will not fit'.

Light Aero Spares in Devon. Most US built aircraft are put together with imperial hardware. Slightly more expensive as it's aircraft grade (rolled threads rather than cut threads) but available in 1/16" length increments.

Hi

Yes should have been clearer, the M6 nut does not fit into the slot snugly, just rotates. It is frustrating because years ago I would have had plenty of imperial fasteners and tools but got rid of the lot when metric came along, only imperial sizes I still use are BSP.

Latest posts

Back