Nuts and Bolts Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i could get nuts and bolts from in the sizes (or similar) below:

Bolts
8 1/2" x 1/4" x 20 Bolt (Not sure what the 20 stands for, any ideas?)
5" x 3/8" x 20 Bolt with countersunk head
3" x 3/4" x 20 Bolt with countersunk head

Nuts
1/4" x 20 wood insert nut
3/8" x 20 wood insert nut

Also need 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD Bushings

Any help would be great, been struggling to find anything.

Cheers

gc":38nglq6u said:
Bolts

8 1/2" x 1/4" x 20 Bolt (1/4" - 20 UNC, 60deg thread angle or 1/4 -20 BSW, 55 deg thread angle)

Bolt with countersunk head
5" x 3/8" x 20 possibly (3/8 - 20 BSF, 55 deg thread angle)
3" x 3/4" x 20 possibly (3/4" - 20 UNEF)

Nuts
1/4" x 20 wood insert nut
3/8" x 20 wood insert nut

Also need 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD Bushings

Any help would be great, been struggling to find anything.

Cheers

Are you sure about the 20 threads per inch specification, results in a very bizarre mix of thread types to meet those specs.

If it is tpi then you have som odd mixed threads there.

CHJ beat me to it
Jason

Perhaps the X 20 refers to quantity required, that would make more sense.

CHJ":2hzpqjez said:
Perhaps the X 20 refers to quantity required, that would make more sense.

Does seem more logical

I also wonder if teh 3/4" CSKs are a typo as GC has not asked for any 3/4" nuts

Can you let us know what you are building and also if they are English or Americam plans?

You are more likely to be able to get hold of M6 and M10 bolts that imperial sizes.

J

20 threads per inch is the UNC thread pitch for 1/4" dia. bolts. For 3/8" diameter, UNC would be 16 threads per inch and UNF would be 24 threads per inch. There is, in BSF 3/8-20.

For 3/4" dia., UNC would be 10 threads per inch, UNFe, 16 and BSF 12.

It's not the quantity I no that as only need a few. The plans are for a balance bike I'm going to make for our daughter, plans at work so will check sizes tomorrow as may well have made some typos. Not so bothered if they are same type of bolts specified its more the length of bolts required that seamed harder to find. I will update once I check the plan.

Anyone else ever built one of these or seen plans for one?

They are basically a childs cycle without any pedals, my neighbours garnkids have a couple made from ply though I'm sure they were shop bought.

http://www.balance-bikes.com/

So given thats teh project I would guess teh long bolts are for the axles and these will be quite hard to find at that length, maybe studding (allthread) with a nut at each end will be easier, depends if teh wheel runs on teh bush or on the bolt shank

J

I see. My son learned to ride a bike starting with a commercially made unit.

I started to draw up plans for a plywood one and then my wife went and bought a Strider Bike for him.

For the longer bolts, the steering bolt and front axle for example, I would use some all thread instead. Lock two nuts together on the top to create a head. No reason you can't substitute metric hardware throughout.

Are you making the wheels or buying them?

I'm interested to see pictures of your bike.

I think i will have to go with the threaded bar as cant find such long bolt anywhere. As you say can go with metric instead.

With regards to the wheels i have bought a couple of plastic wheels (10" or 12" cant remember) to use however i did like the idea of making the wheels myself but thought it may be difficult getting the tyres to fit (any ideas how this could be done?)

I will update with pictures when i get started however the bike will be for her birthday in June so bit to go yet.

It you had solid tyres, I would make the wheel from two disks of plywood with a rebate cut on the facing edges to fit the tyre. Screw the two pieces together to trap the tyre on.

I have a couple of wheels off a kids bike to use but fancied making some although going to be to hard to do with using inflatable tyres I think.
Looking forward to starting this build.

Latest posts

Back