NuTools NPJ130 Planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just updated the review on my web site after dismantling the machine once I'd discovered why I could not set it up quite right

Hi Weasel,
I took a look at your review and your site - and your bridge - nice one! However - please dump or replace the background image. Those vertical lines are a real pain!

Hi, I can't raise your page weasel ( page won't display).

Is this tool any good considering its price? Only I may have the chance to get one.

Does anyone else have one and whats your opinion?

cheers :)

billzee

Indeed there is something funky with your website. You better check it out, I'd love to have a look at it :wink:

Hi Chris,

As with Billzee and CYC I can't get the first page up, it either takes to long to load or you have a problem somewhere.
If readers can't see something in the first 25 to 30 seconds they give in and move on to browse elsewhere.

CC

Come on guys, someone must be using one of these thicknessers, surely :eek:

billzee":1pb363kw said:
Come on guys, someone must be using one of these thicknessers, surely :eek:

Maybe they're too embarassed to say so in public...? :wink:

Ducking and running, Jester :D

P.S. Who am I to talk? I've got a blooming Maxi26 for heaven's sakes... :oops:

Maybe they're too embarassed to say so in public...? :wink:

So they're that bad then :lol:

I've got the nutool jointer planer and TBF its not THAT bad :).

If it can do at least a half decent job with a bit of tweaking I'd like to know

cheers :)

billzee

weasel host's that website form a computer at his house so either it's not connected or he's forgotten to plug it in :wink:

From what I remember of the review he wasn't impressed with the thicknesser at all and it didn't produce good results he stopped messing about with it in the end and got the Delta thicknesser..

Thanks charley, I've been looking also @ the axminster ct344 thicknesser, down to £299. Its a fair bit more, but may be possible later.

Dare I ask, anyone have any knowledge of this one? :)

Billzee,

I seem to recall Andy Dingley (? :? )who frequently posts on The Wreck and UK-DIY having expressed opinions on the differences between APTC's various thicknessers. Might be worth a quick search. (I'd look myself, but I'm feeling too darn lazy today :oops: )

Cheers, Jester

Bilzee
There's a review of Axminster's CT330 here.
May be of some use to you. It mentions the CT344 as well.
There are a lot of woodworking shows around at the moment. I saw the nutools planer thicknesser at the Yandles show. You may be able to get a demo and see if its good enough for your needs?
Cheers,
Gidon

I'm reviewing the CT330 (ct344's bigger brother) thicknesser at the moment, expect to see the review online tonight or tomorrow :)

Thanks for the ideas guys :)

It seems very strange to me that we cannot go along to our local woodyard and buy decent planed stock that is neither cupped nor twisted or as wickes seem to do, bind up 6 or 8 planks which seemingly seem good only to get them home and find when releasing the binding to find 3/4 of the stock unusable.

Is it beyond these people to cut and store this timber properly and to sell it in single units ( so we can check its trueness) so we can get about our business without resorting to all manner of strange and exotic machines to give us the basic material to work with.

billzee":2zi0qk0h said:
It seems very strange to me that we cannot go along to our local woodyard and buy decent planed stock that is neither cupped nor twisted or as wickes seem to do, bind up 6 or 8 planks which seemingly seem good only to get them home and find when releasing the binding to find 3/4 of the stock unusable.

Is it beyond these people to cut and store this timber properly and to sell it in single units ( so we can check its trueness) so we can get about our business without resorting to all manner of strange and exotic machines to give us the basic material to work with.

You seem to be labouring under the delusion that "sheds" have a responsibility to their customers. In fact, their first responsibiltiy is to their shareholders. Think about it this way, if they sell you something that's suitable for the purpose, you won't have any need to go back and buy a replacement. No Shed Manager will get himself promoted to Area Manager unless he can demonstrate an ability to rip off each customer at least three times during any given transaction.

The timber's warped? No, you just need to buy this plane to bring it into true. The plane doesn't cut? Well, you need to sharpen the blade properly with our wonderful JML gizmo. Still unhappy? Well, go away and practice with the gizmo.

Yours (cynically)

Gill

You seem to be labouring under the delusion that "sheds" have a responsibility to their customers. In fact, their first responsibiltiy is to their shareholders.

:lol:

Yup, it seems to be that way most of the time.

Mind you, shaft your customers too many times and you lose em. I get very, very picky nowadays when I visit these places.

In fact, if you find yourself in a Wickes ( by some terrible misfortune) and you see half the stock in the walkway its probably me underneath it all sorting myself a rare straight and true board :D [/quote]

so has anyone got or tried or know a friend of a friend who has one (NU-TOOL THICKNESSER)the boss said i can have one but at £350 for the dewalt she said look at the nu-tool :? at £140,i just cant win

Frank,
Sorry I've taken a while to post- Yes, I bought a Nutool Planer thicknesser! I really wanted to buy the De-Walt, but thought I couldn't justify the extra cash. Used it for 20 minutes to thickness some Ash when ZING, a piece of metal goes flying past me! First thought, must of hit a nail or something. So I change my underware and have a look at the timber. No evidence of a problem there. Have a look under the bonnet of the Nutool and the piece of metal was found to be part of a blade retaining clamp that had just torn off. Unbelievable!.
Back to B+Q, rant at customer services and return home with new Dewalt instead.
So, don't buy the Nutool, Its a dangerous P.O.S.!
However, Do buy the Dewalt, it is awesome.(and working supremely a year later!)
Hope I'm not too late,
Philly

Back