Nutool thicknesser and bench jointer set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fremar

Reaction score
The Nutool thicknesser and bench jointer set for sale on Ebay for a combined price of £169:99 are these any good or can anyone recommend a good purchase.

These would be used for DIY only but space is a factor.

Thanks in advance

fremar

I've got the bench jointer, pretty horrible really - it does the job just about and is quite compact which is a plus.

The first one I got was hopeless and I sent it back within the first week.

The 2nd has held up, but if you have the space and a bit more to spend - I would be inclined to buy may the perform combo planer/thicknesser - you get cast iron and an induction motor - bound to be a better piece of kit.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... 8&recno=21

sawdustalley":l4uojgbu said:
I would be inclined to buy may the perform combo planer/thicknesser - you get cast iron and an induction motor - bound to be a better piece of kit.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... 8&recno=21
I've got one of these and it's not bad at all - it's dealt with everything I've thrown at it, although there are a couple of niggles:

1) The feed rollers are serrated metal and need to be kept clean - especially if feeding large quantities of softwood.

2) The safety switches are essential, but can be a pain to engage when changing from planer to thicknesser and back again.

Blade changing is simple. The depth scale can be a bit hit and miss, so don't rely on it - always check and take very small bites with the thicknesser. The infeed table can be wound back to be slightly higher than the outfeed table if you're not careful. Removing and replacing the outfeed table is something you soon get used to doing. Mine has run of a standard 13amp plug since new. Plenty of power and I'm not sorry I bought it, although it's not in the "top of the range" class. Mine's on an Axminster mobile base and lives mostly under my bench.

Ray.

Thaks for the welcome Neil, its much appreciated.

I've had a look at the links for the Perform planer/thicknesser and if I can get it to fit into my shed(workshop) I think thats the way I'll go.

I'll check out the equipment at Ally Pally this weekend and go from there.

Thanks for all the advice.

On a different topic.

How can this company

http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/

sell a woodrat for £399.99 vat inc. when its £475 to buy from woodrat itself?

I think I'll try and get the answer from the horses mouth at the fair.

cheers

fremar

Because that is what Woodrat used to charge, before deciding to open up distribution to retailers. The retailers will have demanded that Woodrat not do them out of business, so they put their prices up. Now the retailers are competing. Rutland sold them at 20% off in their sale, which is pretty much identical.

Jake

The Perform looks very appealing at the price Axminster have it at the moment - does anyone know if the wheel base can be used with the frame stand or the cabinet stand?

stewart

stewart":3h053r9k said:
The Perform looks very appealing at the price Axminster have it at the moment - does anyone know if the wheel base can be used with the frame stand or the cabinet stand?

stewart

As I said above, mine's on an Axminster mobile base. I have the splayed leg frame stand, but the way the mobile base goes together, you'd have no problem putting either model on it.

Ray.

Back