NUTOOL NTL900

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkitson

Reaction score
Hi guy's
I have inherited a whole workshop from a relative & amongst the tools is an older laith, model NTL900 marketed by NUTOOL.
I have no doubt it was marketed by many companies under different guise's/model numbers.
My question is does anyone know what 4 jaw chuck will fit it ?
It is basically a wood laith but I want to turn HDPE on it as it has a wide speed range it will do the job "IF" I can source the right 4 jaw chuck.

You need to measure it, older lathes from the cheaper end of the spectrum can have various different thread forms.

The diameter will give an indication as to which it might be and then it's a case of counting the number of threads in an inch.

(Diameter will be a little under the nominal diameter due to thread design)

A decent chuck is an expensive item and I doubt anyone will offer a definitive answer to your original question without physical confirmation on the machine.

There are two links to Lathe threads in the Help Sticky at the top of the page which might help.

Two most likely are ¾" x 16 or 1" x 8 TPI

1 x 1/8 would be my guess as it was the base for the Axminster and many other clones, Try the AWGB forum and see if there is anyone local to you who can pop over with chuck or similar to try. I think the Tool Post has a list of lathes and thread sizes on their chuck page?

Thank's guy's, I took the power head to a local tool shop & machine mart & both just wanted to sell me a new lathe, both as helpful as a chocolate fire guard !
I'll measure the thread tomorrow & go from there.

You were spot on Chas !
It is 16 X 3/4 " Any ideas on who might stock one ??
Been through ebay, & all he other on line tool sellers & It seems no one knows what they are actually selling !!
I had to explain to all of them exactly what I was talking about.

The SK80 Clubman Chuck would be suited to the lathe being one of the lighter chucks available.

Or the bigger SK100. which would give you a bigger accessory jaw selection.

Nothing wrong with the 80mm jaw sets as far as holding power is concerned 50% of my turning uses the 80mm versions just to give me the size ranges I like to work with. (but fitted to 100mm chucks, all Axminister jaws are compatible between 80-100mm chucks.)

That particular chuck is actually M33 X 3.5 & not 3/4 X 16 & I am being told 3/4 X 16 is not compatible with 4 jaw chucks ??

Axminster sell four jaw chucks with 3/4" x 16 tpi (both SK100 and SK80) as do most of the other chuck suppliers.
As it happens I have a second hand Axminster super precision chuck for sale with 3/4" x 16tpi backplate but it's probably a bit heavy for that lathe.

Back