NuTool 155mm Bench Planer/Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
As this is my first experience of using this type of tool and the fact that my budget wouldn't stretch far I went for it. After carefully removing the planer from its box and getting covered in grease, they appear to think that more is better so if you get one of these machines new then wear gloves to get it out of the box :wink: Box contents: Two push 'sticks/handles' made from heavy plastic with rubber bases. A spare drive belt and a set of bushes. A very basic instruction manual which covers everything other than what you actually want to know. A crude, back fence with its adjustment fixtures screwed on the wrong way up. Three knobs with the wrong thread of bolt welded into them, one to fit the blade guard (it didn't fit the thread) and two others that hold the back fence to its supports (these didn't fit either). So three items that were probably designed for a totally different machine but not to fit this one. I had some spare threaded knobs lying around so that was quickly sorted. Anyway, after cleaning off the sum total of the worlds grease supplies from the table, under the table, all the accessories mentioned, the back fence and finally me it was time to try the machine.

I tried to connect my dust extraction unit to the rear extraction socket but it didn't fit. It appears that NuTool have decided to fit a non standard size of outlet which required a little bit of 'customising' on my part to rig up a means of extracting the dust/shavings successfully. I used a 92.5 degree rainwater downpipe fitting, strapped to the outlet with self-amalgamating rubber tape. The extractor pipe then fitted :roll: :D

The machine appeared to be easy to set-up. The table height adjustment knob was easy to turn but solid in its movements, nothing loose there. Lining up an almost invisible line cut into the edge of the table with the 'stuck-on' milimetre guide, now trying to peel off because of its coating in the grease, was easy enough. I set the depth of cut to 1 mil, or so I thought. Next I squared up the back fence and made sure it was held firmly in place. The motor speed adjustment knob is made of black plastic with A,B,C,D,E marked on it, also in black plastic, making it a little hard to read. A=8000 rpm which was recommended to plane softwood upto 40mm width. I used some 38mmx38mm rough sawn Spruce to try the machine out. Remember the depth set at 1mm ? You do ? Oh good :D Dust extractor fired up, blade guard in place, everything checked, machine fired up. Nice smooth motor, no sound that shouldn't be there. I pushed the stock using the push 'sticks/handles' over the blades and then off with machine and the DE. The result of the first plane was very good, nice and smooth but the actual depth that had been removed was in fact 3mm. I had started with 38mm stock and finished with 35mm stock. So playing with the settings is going to be needed. The odd thing about that is the max planing depth is only 2.5mm ?

As I say this is the first time I have used a machine like this but for my purpose lite DIY, minus the set-up problems and incorrect knobs, I'm very happy with it :wink:

Dog,
I bought one of these about 3 years ago, and they are great value. Only real problem I had with mine was the fence- it was warped! I made a replacement out of MDF.
O.k. its only a "hobby" tool, but faced with not having a surface planer and having one of these- well, no contest!
I have since purchased a Jet planer as my ambitions have grown, but I still keep the Nutool for recycling old timbers, etc.

May your gluejoints be invisible,
regards,
Philly :D

Dog,

"self-amalgamating rubber tape" Do tell more. What, where and how?

Philly,

Good to hear you've got the Jet jointer, the smaller one I suppose. Have decided to get one myself after many months of "research". Any chance of a few words etc and the deal you got.
Many thanks,

Rgds

Noel

Noel, Self-amalgamating rubber tape is very handy stuff as it sticks to itself and can make most things water-tight. Connections on satellite dishes, exterior cables, fixing leaks on cold water pipes and wrapping round awkward dust extraction outlets etc :wink:

Available from most plumbing stores and Screwfix Direct: 16619 £3.99 for 19mm x 10m quality is good. Large width tape is available but not from Screwfix. Stretch it around the object tightly and it stays put :)

NB. I had to place a bit of cardboard around the NuTool extraction outlet before fitting the drainpipe angle so it was a snug fit then I sealed with the tape :wink:

The tape is also great to use on tool handles making them non-slip and nicer to hold especially if using for long periods of time :wink:

Dog":1nrux5lg said:
NB. I had to place a bit of cardboard around the NuTool extraction outlet before fitting the drainpipe angle so it was a snug fit then I sealed with the tape :wink:

Dog,

I have old leather belt that is cut in to strips and used for "adjusting" the fit of dust connections. This stands being taken apart without falling to bits.

Noely,
I bought the Jet 6inch jointer, but with the 1700mm long beds! Got it from Axminster in there on-line clearance section-won't tell you the price!.
It really is the dogs danglys. If you want a "review" drop us a line.
regards,
Philly :lol:

That's a good idea DaveL but the problem I've got is the distance between the rear of the planer and the wall of the workshop wouldn't allow me to fit my dust extractor pipe onto the extraction outlet. The easiest way was to use an angled downpipe fitting but the leather belt sounds like a good idea for non-permanent set-ups, I'll try that on other outlets :wink:

Dog, followed your discourse on the planer with some amusement. It took me back exactly to my own experience when I unpacked my one from ebay. :lol:

The fence is the weakness with this tool but @£100, including postage, beggars can't be choosers.

Latest posts

Back