Nurses.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Will having a degree make for better nurses or simply reduce the number of applicants?

Roy.

That's being going on for over 7 yrs now?
It means they have to employ ward orderlies to do the "dirty" work?

I've had the 'misfortune' to meet some wonderful nursing staff in my time, but would a university education have made them better nurses, more understanding, more kindly or more compassionate?
For those who have not read it, I recommend 'Matron knows best' by Joan Woodcock.

Roy.

As a student nurse from the 1980's I believe this shift that started with the Nursing 2000 initiative has been a monumental mistake. It is the fundamentals of nursing care that are being neglected. My local hospital has admitted this week it has no idea how many patients come in with bed sores, so what happened to ward admission assessments I cannot imagine. I don't demand the return of Matrons, just the readoption of the Enrolled Nurse, who did the essential basics in my day.

Gareth

This is the list of acedemic requirements....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=nursing%20from%202013&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEUQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhscareers.nhs.uk%2Fdetails%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fid%3D1944&ei=kPgaT9DQJeHS4QTT5rGLDQ&usg=AFQjCNHM3CHj2UVJ0_V-UzgfT5qW8NKrBg&cad=rja

....nursing is a vocation, not a job, so unless your ambition is to be a nurse, with the above qualifications there are better paid jobs, with much better hours, than in nursing.
If the government is prepared to pay for training it won't take students long to understand that, once having qualified, their degree will gain them much better pay and conditions elsewhere.
And what about those nurses who have left the profession to have a family, can they re-enter the profession? What of those, like a friend of mine, who left a career in insurance and became a nurse, in his 40s.
Many current NHS nursing staff are aliens, what happens once they have retired, or returned home?
I hope the people who thought this up know what they are doing.

Roy.

My daughter-in-law is coming towards the end of her nursing degree course. I thought it a very thorough academic course coupled with many periods of assignments to hospitals doing the "real thing" - including assisting at operations. A&E, wards and 12 hour night shifts. I don't think she realised quite what she was letting herself in for when she started - but I admire her immensely for her tenacity and hard work seeing it through. If all nurses are trained to this level there must be hope for the NHS :)

Digit":31vag43l said:
For those who have not read it, I recommend 'Matron knows best' by Joan Woodcock.

Roy.

the wife has just read this book, she couldn't put it down, brilliant book (her words).

With absolutely no denigration of her, and other's efforts, intended Roger, nurses have been doing what you descibe for many years.
I don't know the current system but in the past there have been 'levels' of qualifications, I'm thinking SEN and SRN.
Do we, does the profession, need all these chiefs and no Indians?

Roy.

Steve, did she recite the story about the maggots? If not, ask her to.

Roy.

Digit":29dkjlsn said:
Steve, did she recite the story about the maggots? If not, ask her to.

Roy.

just asked her roy, a tramp had maggots eating at his leg, and another had a rat up his trousers, you couldn't make it up could you..

she has just said the doctor took em fishing, bloody cheek...

you got any other recommendations roy? for books that is..

In the same vein Steve your wife will love 'Bed pans and Bobby socks' by Barbara Fox and Gwenda Gofton. It's about 5 British nurses who decide to work in the States, and to quote an American, see more of the country than most Americans, travelling all over in the wreck of a Ford car.
Also 'Midwife on Call,' by Agnes Light.
If she can't find them and wants to follow up she can have my copies when I've finished.

Roy.

Digit":1awo883u said:
In the same vein Steve your wife will love 'Bed pans and Bobby socks' by Barbara Fox and Gwenda Gofton. It's about 5 British nurses who decide to work in the States, and to quote an American, see more of the country than most Americans, travelling all over in the wreck of a Ford car.
Also 'Midwife on Call,' by Agnes Light.
If she can't find them and wants to follow up she can have my copies when I've finished.

Roy.

many thanks Roy, we would love to buy them from you when you have finished reading them, saves us scouting about for them..

just let me know.

We have this wonderful book shop in town Steve that does end of the line publications, anything from 99p upwards, the two books are paperbacks and you are welcome to them, my book case is full to overflowing, if you don't have them they'll be thrown out.
When I've finished I'll PM you for your address and post them off. Just enjoy them tell your wife.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back