numpty beginner question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
I`m building some wall hangers for hanging baskets. Simple design 4x2 horizontal and vertical, with a brace between them.
I want the butt joint between the vertical and horizontal 4x2 to be a bit stronger than a "butt" so I`ve opted for a finger joint come "end" motice and tenon joint.
No need really, just an ideal opportunity to "play".

I`ve cut the "finger" (if you like tenon) on the horizontal (with myu bandsaw), question is how to cut the "mortice". I`ve used my bandsaw to cut the depth (and thus the width) of the "end-mortice" but how can I clean it out, bearing in mind I`ve got a few of these to do..............

I`m stumped, mental block time........

Steve

Mike Garnham":1o01ti5s said:
Hand tools are legal, you know!

Drill out the bulk, and clean up with a chisel.

Mike

:shock: *quietly* i have some hand tools.

and to be honest spent 3/4 of an hour doing exactly as you suggested on one of them.

Problem is I may have up to a dozen to make, I was just wondering if there was a quicker/easier way.

Steve

John. B":k0xni5zh said:
Yup! 8) ,,,,scalled a Morticer :lol: :lol:

john. B

ok fair enough point, SWMBO is not going to be impressed if I say I need a morticer to make her hanging basket holders...... hang on a minute sounds like a plan 8)

I could of course use the chain morticer that I`ve got access to at my friendly wood yard..... I was hoping somebody would have a more novel approach.

router jig?

Steve

and to be honest spent 3/4 of an hour doing exactly as you suggested on one of them.

Problem is I may have up to a dozen to make, I was just wondering if there was a quicker/easier way.

Steve

Not sure how you're going about the drilling and chiselling, shouldn't take more than a few minutes per joint surely ? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but 45 minutes for one sounds a long, long time !

Cheers, Paul :D

Morning All,
If I am reading this right, you just chisel out the rebate. Score the cross line then cut out near the line then clean up.

Koolwabbit

paulm":27bnc8og said:

Steve

Not sure how you're going about the drilling and chiselling, shouldn't take more than a few minutes per joint surely ? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but 45 minutes for one sounds a long, long time !

Cheers, Paul :D

find chisel, sharpen chisel................

showing my lack of experience here, looks like I`ll continue down the suggested route.

Steve

Maybe I've misunderstood but is the mortice open at the end. If so use the bandsaw to make a curved cut from middle to each corner then go back in and clean out the waste. Takes seconds with a bandsaw.

There's a notice down the road that states 'Heavy Plant Crossing' Richard, perhaps it's for one of those!

Roy.

Digit":3vzax3g1 said:
There's a notice down the road that states 'Heavy Plant Crossing' Richard, perhaps it's for one of those!

Roy.

:?

going for the "chunky" look ok lads...... an` I got a load of 4x2 kicking around spare

:roll:

Steve

I don't know... these bloody numptys.... ;)

I'd slim down the 4x2 a tad Steve. I like chunky but it just won't look right. take it down to 80x40mm ish.

wizer":3tmcap6u said:
I don't know... these bloody numptys.... ;)

I'd slim down the 4x2 a tad Steve. I like chunky but it just won't look right. take it down to 80x40mm ish.

Its worth noting they are bloody big baskets as well, some old tat that SWMBO got from freecycle, I`d say about 3 times the diameter of our vanilla ones that are apparently "no good" anymore...........

Steve

Latest posts

Back