Numatic vacuum as a small extractor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted a few months back about acquiring a numatic WVD 572 vac, the initial idea was to use it to pick up the shavings from the floor of the shop however I have been thinking about using it as a small extractor to hook up to the bandsaw, table saw and scroll saw (individually).

Has anyone used a numatic for this before or are they not really up to the task?

I have also got a SIP chip extractor which I plan to route to the lathe to try and cut down on mess, but if the numatic isn't up to extraction then I will use this for it all.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.675503,-4.141082

I use a Numatic to extract my Router and also my router table. It doesn't pick up everything though.

I would say that it probably isn't powerful enough for a Tablesaw or Bandsaw. You could probably get away with using it with the scrollsaw though.

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm only a hobby wood worker so my shop is small and the tools are light duty.

I didn't buy the numatic, I blagged it for free which was a result.

I forgot about the router table, I am in the middle of making one which this could also be used for.

Looks like I need to pull my finger out and buy a filter now :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.665486,-4.066264

I use a Numatic, not sure of the model but it's similar to yours. Not perfect as an extractor but I use it for my small spindle and for my planer/thicknesser ( I haven't got the room for a proper extractor). Like you, I got it for nothing. I wouldn't have gone out and bought one for extraction purposes, but when its free what the heck.

good luck trying to set up a chip extractor for your lathe
no matter how powerful the suck there will always be piles of shavings on every worksurface for 3 meters around :lol:
can be quite good at removing sanding dust as that is a lot more controlled (not many different shaving-shooting angles like with gouge cuts)

bandsaw should be easy to extract as the majority of the dust collects in the frame around the bottom wheel
table saw will be easy too providing you have rigged a suitable hood over the top of the blade aswell as in the machine body itself

i have found that when using a router table about 80% of the shavings stay on the table and very little falls into the router box bellow, with a lot of suck and a good seal in the carcass i guess you could pull some of the shavings and dust down into the table but it depends on what type of bit you are using

i am not sure about the scrollsaw but i assume it would be similar to the bandsaw, dust will build in the machine body below the blade but with a little on the table lifted by the upstroke...?

just my thoughts
thanks

Back