Numatic NV750 Noise Level

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these who can comment on the noise level?

According to Axminster reviews, it is 'very quiet'. But according to other reviews on here and elsewhere people say it's anywhere between quite noisy, to about the same as a vacuum cleaner - which to me would not exactly be 'very quiet' either.

If anyone has one, could you comment on what the noise is like? Would you still be able to hear your radio at normal volume? Talk at normal level over it? Is it just a background hum?

Noise is an issue for me because my 'workshop' is actually an inside room in the house...so would like an idea of how much noise this generates. I already have a very loud dust extractor which works fine, but looking for something I can leave permanently on while using the lathe.

Thanks

The NVD 750 that I have is VERY noisy much more than an average vacuum cleaner. it is very old tho, but it has always seemed loud. it also puts out quite a lot of heat!

Just thinking, mine's the duel motor model 1300w what size is the one your looking into?

Hi Chrispy - I was looking at the NV750. According to all 4 reviews on the axminster site it is 'very quiet' and even 'unbelievalbly quiet'.

I was really looking for something I could have on permanently while using the lathe and not worry about noise.

must have made some big changes and improvements then. As I said mine is pretty old.

I've had Numatic machines for almost 30 years (well, Numatic motor units). Currently we've got an almost new industrial Henry in the house, and I have an Earlex for small extraction/general use in the workshop.

The Earlex is about 10 years old and has a similar motor-impellor assembly to the older Numatics. Both suffer from muck accumulating on the impellor blades. They start off fine, but after a while they get noisier and start to scream. I think this is because the muck imbalances the rotor. Eventually you get bearing damage, and although they still function they're awfully loud. The Earlex is earsplitting when the impellor's got dirty: resinous softwood is a real nuisance - it gets through the filter and builds up, and once the impellor is 'sticky' other dust builds up on it too.

You can clean them by stripping down and splitting the impellor housing, then scrape and soak in solvent. It takes a while, but the results are a significant improvement. I get the Earlex apart by putting the motor-impellor assembly in the freezer for an hour. The plastic casting shrinks, and the metal cover of the impellor just pulls off by hand - at room temp you can't shift it. It's a mucky boring job though, once a year or so.

The new Numatic is a vast improvement. It has two speeds, and it's really quiet. Most of the noise comes from the air in the pipes. It's also got much better filtration, so I'm expecting it to stay quiet, as muck won't build up on the blades.

BUT, it's a single motor machine, designed for commercial office cleaning, and not the dual motor extractor design. Our old machine had a Numatic motor-impellor unit. It did everything from carpets to building rubble, and only died when our cleaner thought it was wet+dry and the motor got soaked. It lasted from 1984 until last year.

drillbit said:
Does anyone have one of these who can comment on the noise level?

As extractors go this is one of the quieter ones. As mentioned most of the noise is the airflow particularly the exhaust. Compared to a normal power tool type extractor it is much quieter and the noise is less invasive than their higher pitched noise. It is 2400w so it will make some noise, I think that it is rated at 72dB and I am pleased with it.

Simon

Thanks all for your help.

Having trawled around the Axminster site, I have started to think in terms of the Numatic NVQ250

It seems to be considerably quieter (56dB) and the suction seems close enough to the NV750.

It sounds like Numatic are quiet, and the claims can be believed.

Latest posts

Back