NPJ130 NuTool Portable Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellow Chris

Let me know what you do in respect of your thicknesser. I would like a planer thicknesser but am reluctant to spend at present due to the pain I feel from buying an inaccurate table saw from Ferm. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Regards

Chris

I'm going to spend the £300 or so to get a "reasonable" brand thicknesser & write off the NuTools one. I'll probably get the Delta 22560 from Rutlands.

I would not necessarily shy away from Ferm as a brand, I am happy with my Ferm biscuit Jointer (but have read on this forum that others were not).

You might want to take a look on eBay - I have bought a number of tools 2nd-hand from there without problem. In fact the only tool I bought new from eBay was the Thicknesser :?

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I'll review my new thicknesser, which should be in the £300-£400 price band. The scheppach HMS 260 reviewed on this site looks great, but is a bit pricey for my wallet & I need something that is portable(ish) i.e. bench standing, not free standling

I have ordered a Delta 22560 from Rutlands

(yes I have changed my handle from elvch01 to Weasel)

weasel:

i know this sounds a little strange, but would it not be possible to peal off the rubber and re-bond some fresh stuff onto the roller?

I would be interested in buying your old nu-tool thicknesser if you are interested in selling it??

Hmm.....

worth a thought, but I'm no expert on this rubber stuff, but it might be worth investigating, puely as an intellectual excercise. I expect that I'd need a bath of some liquid "rubber" and some means of rotating the spindle whilst it dries after applying a coat. :idea: Or else I could first try & even it up on my lathe - after all I'll need to remove the rubber anyhow.

In any event, I'm gonna keep it as a spare. Its far from perfect (which is why I'm repacing it) but in an emergency its better than nowt.

i was thinking more along the lines of peeling off the rubber, and trying to bond some "sheet rubber" to the roller.

An epoxy should do the job nicely, the gap between sheets (which should be small if you cut the rubber carefully) could be filled with a silicon.

As long as the actual roller is correctly balanced, hopefully this should fix the problem.

OR
you could try to turn the existing rubber coated roller on your lathe, i.e. carefully make the "high area" of the rubber coating the same diameter as the "low area".
not sure how rubber would turn................. but anyhow, if you want to replace the rubber its got to come off some how!!

Does anyone know where a new set f knives can be obtained for nutool thicknessers?

I dunno, you let someone borrow your tools and they try and pass a bit of wood with effing great nails in it through them. I get a lovely raised ridge on everything I try and pass through now! :(

I did have a Nu Tool thicknesser a couple of years back but gave it away after I bought a decent one, Elu. I too found that there was a lo of snipe on the ends of the boards. I took it apart and found that the carriage was quite a sloppy fit on the posts allowing the carriage to flex as the wood was fed in or exited. A home made long bed did improve the snipe but it was still prevelent. I ended up buying an Elu thickness planer and now use this. I gave the old Nu Tool to a friend who says it is fine for what he uses it for occasionally. Horses for courses I guess. :wink:

You could phone Nutool on 01302 721791. However, I wanted a drive belt for a belt sander and they wanted £10 including postage, with no option to collect. I got one from an engineers supplier for £2-I had already bought a replacement belt sander as I was in the middle of a project, never too many tools though. Rick.

Sorry to revive an old thread. I happen to do a Google search for the NUTool and this forum came up.

I have a pretty small budget and would only be using the thicknesser off and on (One smallish project a month say)

I was going to order the CC10T from Axminster. Anyone have any thoughts if it is signaficantly better then the NuTool or am I spending so little that I might as well save a few more bucks and get the cheap NuTool?

Its a €40 (Euro) difference (If Axminster charges me £10 instead of £35 for carriage as the their thicknesser is only a Kg over the threshold for Eire)

The only benefit of the NuTool is that I could get it semi locally

mailee":2w3zonaa said:
I did have a Nu Tool thicknesser a couple of years back but gave it away after I bought a decent one, Elu. I too found that there was a lo of snipe on the ends of the boards. I took it apart and found that the carriage was quite a sloppy fit on the posts allowing the carriage to flex as the wood was fed in or exited. A home made long bed did improve the snipe but it was still prevelent. I ended up buying an Elu thickness planer and now use this. I gave the old Nu Tool to a friend who says it is fine for what he uses it for occasionally. Horses for courses I guess. :wink:

Nevermind...I went on the Axminster site and saw the Jet was on sale:
Jet JWP-12 Thicknesser - 240V

Because it is 30Kg (instead of 31 Kg) I saved £25 on shipping,so it actually was cheaper then the CC10T so I ordered one.

Woohoo

Yes Nic, I used to have one and gave it away! It is utter rubbish in my opinion and the amount of snipe was very annoying on it. I used to get at least two if not three inches of snipe on the ends of every board. I tried making a long bed for it to cure it but it was still there. After stripping it down I found that the carriage was a poor fit on the rails and it was the carriage which was tilting at the start and end of the cuts which was causing the problem. Just cheap tooling IMHO. :wink:

Back