Now you may wonder.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
.... what this is doing in the turning section!

Well, there are two reasons:
1) I know that Jonzjob visits here and planes are his thang and
2) I had to turn the spinner on the propeller so thats relevant.

This is a present for a wife to give her husband for their 10th wedding anniversary. In case you haven't guessed, its a weather vane. Tested it today and it turns into the wind beautifully (very gentle breeze today) and the prop spins just walking along with it. Well pleased. The prop was interesting to make. Finish could be better but then its going up on the roof somewhere and I was reliably informed by my better half that I had already spent enough time on it.

Made from scrap ply. Used up three of the roller bearings I had bought to go on the bandsaw guides! Mother of invention and all that.

No critique is invited!! :roll:

Attachments

• 100_3429.jpg
    100_3429.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 812
  • 100_3428.jpg
    100_3428.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 813
  • 100_3426.jpg
    100_3426.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 812
Jonzjob":zsy1xm34 said:
Well, all you can do is Yak, Yak, Yac and if so the prop is far too big for the scale model :mrgreen:

But it looks good to me. Did you manage to get the retractable tryke undercart? A bit like a Yak52...

Mine tend to be a bit more detailed, bigger abd gliders, like this one

MagisterSelsley2.jpg

Very nice John but I bet that didn't get scratch built in three hours!! Undercart is a long bolt between two bearings with a few washers and nuts as spacers and stuff. Very technical, won't bore you with things beyond your ken. Perhaps when you have two hands that work you might be up to it. 8)

You beat me to it Gordon. I was about to edit my post and say that it ain't easy to get an aircraft right, but you certainly did it with that one =D> =D>

3 hours? i took a LOT more to get my Magister built!!

What finish did you use?

Pray tell? Wot the hell has an iron got to do with this? I aint got no creases in it and anyway ironing is wimens werk!

Now! I you had asked what section had been used for the wings and is it the same from root to tip? Selig 15 or sumfin? Then I could understand. But an iron? Even the prop pitch and is it variable, but there are limits :shock:

Jonzjob":wbk8e2wu said:
You beat me to it Gordon. I was about to edit my post and say that it ain't easy to get an aircraft right, but you certainly did it with that one =D> =D>

3 hours? i took a LOT more to get my Magister built!!

What finish did you use?

Pray tell? Wot the hell has an iron got to do with this? I aint got no creases in it and anyway ironing is wimens werk!

Now! I you had asked what section had been used for the wings and is it the same from root to tip? Selig 15 or sumfin? Then I could understand. But an iron? Even the prop pitch and is it variable, but there are limits :shock:

One suspects the iron thing might be something to do with the IKEA washing basket. Thats what I assumed!!

The finish is just Acid Lacquer straight on the ply. Another two coats will see it waterproof but I will recommend he takes it down and gives it a coat of yacht varnish every year - he won't of course.

I was trying to make a sort of generic WW2 fighter, sort of cross between the Mustang, Spit and Hurricane. Quite like the shape but the important thing is that it works well which is pleasing as I have never made any sort of plane or weather vane before.

Back to making my 'antique' computer desk circa or in the style of.......!!

Really nice plane. I like the way the different colours of the ply come through and define the cockpit, really neat

Noggsy":1gt75p1d said:
Plane iron...C'mon guys, keep up.

Aha, you must excuse us old codgers. Not as quick on the uptake as we were.

Alli":1gt75p1d said:
Really nice plane. I like the way the different colours of the ply come through and define the cockpit, really neat

Thanks, I was struggling with how to do it in the usual wood I have around, quite apart from the weight aspect. The wife then said "how about using up the ply left overs" and the penny dropped how to do the fin and the cockpit area from the layers. Useful things wives.

Noggsy":8vv45eun said:
Plane iron...C'mon guys, keep up.

We never used to iron planes when I was in the R.A.F. and I worked on them for 12 years. Polish them, yes, but no one thought about ironing them?

If they ever got to the point of having creases in them I don't think that an iron would have been any good :? :? :?

Back