Now what do I do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Had a 2 hour op this afternoon to remove a 'growth' from my upper back (yes it is what you think it is). I now have a 4.5cm set of stitches a week or two off work BUT the doc won't let me do anything physical with my hands - no planing, sawing etc. :(

So what do I do now that's wood related?

As I can't play in the garage I'm afraid to say that I'll be online alot more. Sorry.

Maybe I could design my own woodrat!! Now let me see.......

Cheers

Tony
Who is counting the days until he can get back onto the air cleaner project

Edit saw the stitches for first time tonight - very neat indeed. Good old NHS :)

Tony":14essb43 said:
As I can't play in the garage I'm afraid to say that I'll be online alot more. Sorry.
Quick! Run for the hills, boys! :shock:

Well as long as the op went well, that's the main thing. :D

Cheers, Alf

Tony,

Commiserations (from fellow tee shirt owner) . A few ideas that apply to me but might be useful to you.

I need get to grips with a variety of software ( folk who have praised Sketchup got me interested enough to download the trial - I think its's very dubious so far!)

I have to design a winning box for this place..

Intimations of mortality got me interested in genealogy and that is wonderfully time consuming - I once took 6 months out on an ancestor hunt, much of which can be done online nowadays.

I need to plan my next woodworking course in conjunction with a holiday for SWMBO - somewhere in the USA would be nice but it could be Devon.

On the whole, I'd recommend design as both challenging, useful in future - as a skill and for whatever you design for yourself.

Thanks Chris

I like the idea of some design time and on the software front it's about time I wrote the code the that CNC type router fence.

May I recommend a wood trip to the states that takes in the LN factory? Also I've heard that Christian Becksvoort opens his doors to visitors.

hmm - I had a similar thing recently - a ganglion removed from me foot - i spent the time refining some designs I had, in my head, that I was going to make. ended up with several sheets of A4 designs, which meant I made far fewer mistakes when I actually came to cutting wood! recommend the time to just sit back and think about your next projects,

Geeze Tony.... 2 weeks is a holiday nae a hardship ;)

If it's any consolation I know exactly how you feel; I got clearence from the doc to do "a little" work in the shop, but I reckon that's more to do with sanity protection than well being.
Design time's a good one... something you can get the grey matter into; take yer mind off the stiches...
Books are another... I've benefited from a mini education these past couple of weeks; them old timers knew a thing or two...

<leaving daytime TV well alone... least said about tthat the better...

I hope you're recovery goes well bud...

Hi Chris

waterhead37":gg1i9uss said:
I need to plan my next woodworking course in conjunction with a holiday for SWMBO - somewhere in the USA would be nice but it could be Devon.

Craft Supplies run router and turning courses in the south of France.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Tony

All the very best.

You could spend some time setting up a web site to host all of those jigs that you've made. :wink:

Oh, I forgot, you've only got two weeks. :lol:

Neil

Last year i was in the same boat i had spinal surgery, i was in hospital for 10 days then 3 months of bed rest. As soon as i was released to go home i got my pencils and paper out and drew plans for my workshop. Even after bed rest i could not do much so i managed to talk SWMBO in digging the foundations for the workshop :lol:

Glad the op went OK. Hope you recover well and fast Tony.

As for what to do now? Have a rest mate! Though if the weather is as nice where you are as it is here, you could get outside, nice long drink, do some whittling. I find that so relaxing and addictive!

All the best

Hope you are all OK, and then you start to feel better ASAP.

In the meantime, you could log onto all your favourite forums, and read lots of books.

Adam

Tony,
Here's to a speedy recovery!
What about designing yourself a website?
Or designing a competition winning box design (and then emailing it to me! :D )
best wishes,
Philly :D

Hi Philly

Philly":mgqs4w2y said:
Tony, Or designing a competition winning box design (and then emailing it to me! :D )

Sorry, but Tony can't do that as I have the exclusive rights to his designs, for the period of the competition, and he has also lent me one of his jigs. :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Tony,
Get well soon

You don't seem to have a website listed. Why not set one up. The photography and the web page creation should take awhile.

Andy

If you have Paint Shop Pro (or download a trial version) why not use the program to learn how to paint (art form) using a computer. No need to buy painting gear. If you need any suggestions how to go about this process, send me a PM.

My wife had a similar op over 30 years ago and everything cleared up OK, so wish you the best

You could catalogue the contents of your workshop, a task which is well worth while, as about ten years ago, my workshop was broken into, and other than the obvious things like power tools, it wasn't until after I put in the insurance claim I noticed they'd nicked a can of petrol, and a bike. No idea how I missed the bike, but it was part dismantled so it could be squeezed into a small space. It was knackered, and I just never noticed. These days, I use digital photos as my record.

Adam

Tony,

Please ignore Adam's advice......
If you do a workshop inventory and realise how much you've spent over the years on your habit.........

Rgds

Noel

Back