now the sander needs help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Sander packed up today, it just makes a low buzz when I push the starter switch.

2012_0710boxsander0007sand1w.jpg

I took off the base and I am surprised it has never caught fire?

2012_0710boxsander0006sandw.jpg

I have cleaned out the dust and sprayed a lot of WD40 around but no success.

Any suggestions on how to repair appreciated.

BTW that the fourth tool to go u s in 7 days. (plus the wife had a new microwave Monday)

Is it the damp weather conditions?

Attachments

• 2012_0710boxsander0007sand1w.jpg
    2012_0710boxsander0007sand1w.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 2012_0710boxsander0006sandw.jpg
    2012_0710boxsander0006sandw.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 313
devonwoody":bonkknvt said:
BTW that the fourth tool to go u s in 7 days. (plus the wife had a new microwave Monday)
Is it the damp weather conditions?
More likely the mains voltage playing-up I would have thought - are you having to replace light-bulbs more than usual ?

devonwoody":2lks0cke said:

+ your time clock & motorised valve, could be as WM has suggested, worth getting it checked.

Assuming your power supply is OK.....
First put that WD 40 away. It is a water displacer and a pi88 poor lubricant.
Does the NVR switch stay in or only hum whilst the green button is pushed? if the latter, then the NVR is possibly full of dust and needs a clean out. NO LUBRICANTS OF ANY SORT.
If you need to press the red button to stop the humming then it is likely that the NVR is fine.
With it switched off, pull the belt round with the palm of your hand and then switch on. The motor should start. Be careful doing this.

If the motor runs then it is almost certainly the capacitor - new ones can be obtained on ebay - not as a manufacturers spare which will cost far far more.

hth

Bob

9 fingers,It only hums when I push the green button and stops immediately I take my finger off.

So it sounds that I have to undo the switch assembly from inside, the plastic button covers outside seem well sealed.

Doug, how observant of you, I have a new programer but awaiting the plumber to replace the three way motorised valve he supplied which appears to be the main culprit of that trouble.

Sssshh, havent replaced any bulbs lately.

Blister, I certainly would like some dust extraction, I already run three dust machines, cannot think where to install one for the sander. Its done 8 years without one.

This job seems jinxed, lousy maple, machines breaking down all over the place, and now another delay.

2012_0710boxsander00047w.jpg

Attachments

• 2012_0710boxsander00047w.jpg
    2012_0710boxsander00047w.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 255
OK, I have popped out the ws and stripped down the covers off the machine and the capacitor has definately been leaking a black tar substance.

9 fingers can I disconnect the capacitor like I did last week on that dust extractor and run the machine or do I have to have one this time, there is just a brown and blue wire going in from a connector which also supplies the switch with the same colours. ?

John,

Your two observations seem inconsistent. Either the NVR is failing to hold in and that is the problem or the capacitor has failed. I would think it highly unlikely (even for someone of your luck!) to have two coincident faults.

No you cannot use the motor without the capacitor. It provide essential phase shift to start and run your motor.

The first step is to bypass the NVR completely noting where each wire goes accurately first.
Use the switch on the wall socket to turn it on and off. If the motor will not run then you do need a replacement capacitor as well as to clean or replace the NVR.

hth

Bob

Thanks Bob,

The green switch does not stay in when pushed.

I will give it a miss tonight, and tomorrow I have got an eye clinic appointment for three hours, (cataract inspection) so might not come in again on the subject until Thursday.

i had a similar problem
the capacitor failed - i could see there was some bubbling coming out of the side of it
a cheap fix (fiver) from ebay

Back home but keeping out of ws today, had the eye drops. (cataract op booked for Oct).

BTW the George Foreman grill blew up lunchtime, unbelievable, thats item 21 to go west since January. (honest)

2012_0712sanderrewiure0002w.jpg

No luck.

Press green button it hums, press red button the hum stops.

tried pushing belt and then holding the green button same time, it still hums but will not run.

Rewired as per picture above, mains straight to motor bypassing switch and capacitor, no hum, no run, didnt try pushing the belt tho, ( I was scared too)

So is it the motor?

Attachments

• 2012_0712sanderrewiure0002w.jpg
    2012_0712sanderrewiure0002w.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 141
Earlier you said "It only hums when I push the green button and stops immediately I take my finger off."

then you said " Press green button it hums, press red button the hum stops"

Which was correct?

When the switch was still in circuit and you pressed the green button where was the humming noise coming from? The motor or the switch?

Bob

Second operation , press the green button it hums press the red button it stops humming.

Difficult for me to say which is humming, I wear a hearing aid. The hum sounds the same both ends of the sander.

We have a gale and storm down here again today, so will take off base tomorrow and try to determine which end the sound is coming from.

John,
To make it a bit easier for you, just connect the switch to the mains input in the same way as it was originally wired but with the motor disconnected. Can you hear the hum when operating the switch.

Have you got a simple desk lamp or other light bulb device? if so connect the output of the switch (where it used to go to the motor) to the wires to the lamp (make sure its own switch is on)
When you operate the sander switch, does the light come on and stay on until the red button is pushed?

Bob

I had tidied up the sander and it was all put together,however took off the base plate and it is definitely the motor that is humming .

Ok But you also said that when you bypassed the switch and just connected the mains to the motor, that it did not hum.

This does not make sense. How can the motor hum when connected via the switch and yet not hum when connected directly.

It is very hard to assist when your responses are either illogical or contradictory. Please can you try to be more concise

Thanks

Bob

OK ignore all previous observations.

Next time I go in, I will write down happenings.

But no dust in switch, therefore the only thing I would replace economically is the capacitor.

Motor or switch and it would pay me to purchase a new machine from £112 less any discount when an offer comes in.

Latest posts

Back