now the sander needs help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree John. Now you have established that the switch is OK then the easiest/cheapest/most like cure is a new capacitor

Bob

Yes Bob, I think the switch must be OK if it get the buzz and it switches off, the buzz comes from the motor so I will give the capacitor a run for its money, now I have got to go and find one, any more ideas besides ebay anyone?

Ebay is by far the best source. just enter the capacitor value and motor run eg < 10mf motor run> and then check the voltage rating is equal or greater than the old one.
Some will have spade tags and others will have a short length of wire built in. Chose the nearest style to the old one. A quick check of the dimensions is advised but nearly all are standardised sizes for a particular value.
Try and stay within +/- 15% ish of the original value if you can't get the exact figure.

You should only be paying a few pounds.

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=1 ... _PrefLoc=2

Bob

9fingers":34y6jouy said:
Ebay is by far the best source. just enter the capacitor value and motor run eg < 10mf motor run> and then check the voltage rating is equal or greater than the old one.
Some will have spade tags and others will have a short length of wire built in. Chose the nearest style to the old one. A quick check of the dimensions is advised but nearly all are standardised sizes for a particular value.
Try and stay within +/- 15% ish of the original value if you can't get the exact figure.

You should only be paying a few pounds.

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=1 ... _PrefLoc=2

Bob
Many thanks Bob for all your help and advice, I have been in the ws all morning on the corner cupboard project, my back is aching so will give it a rest for a few hours.

Only too happy to help. Let me know how you get on. If you are still stuck and fancy a day trip out to the New Forest, you could bring the patient to my place. I only charge for any parts/materials and supply coffee & biccies free!

Whilst relaxing John, you can be browsing on the bay for capacitors. I've had virtually return of post service from the suppliers on there.

Bob

Quite a bit further really. Paignton to Axminster 48 miles, Paignton to Romsey 127 miles.

Beware Limp Pic traffic too anywhere near Wareham.

Bob

Just cut the lead as close as possible to your old capacitor and add two spade tags on the end and fit to the new capacitor.
It will likely have 4 spade terminals but you need to use any two that ate not connected to each other. It will be obvious when you get it.

There is this one with a lead http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-UF-450V-EL ... 2eb613c2e1

The stud is for mounting the capacitor. not all have them. It is electrically isolated so you don't need to take any precautions with it.

hth

Bob

Pleased to say the capacitor arrived from Tyrone Ireland within 24 hours of order placed at Ebay.

BUT

The machine will now only run if I hold the green button on continuously, and the red button does not have any task it is dead when I attempt to switch over.

So I assume I have upset the switch mechanism when pulled out and dusted?

Is that your opinion too?

devonwoody":1vttrzc6 said:
Pleased to say the capacitor arrived from Tyrone Ireland within 24 hours of order placed at Ebay.

BUT

The machine will now only run if I hold the green button on continuously, and the red button does not have any task it is dead when I attempt to switch over.

So I assume I have upset the switch mechanism when pulled out and dusted?

Is that your opinion too?

It does rather sound like it John but if you want me to test it before shelling out on a new one, you can post it to me?

Bob

Thanks for you offer of assistance, I will pull the switch assembly out and have a fiddle with the catches etc.

If that fails, I will most probably rewire the mains lead direct through the capacitor and to motor bypassing the switch.

Is that a real no no?

I run my router in table because the NVR switch was attached to the Triton stand and it went with the sale to a buyer.

Some NVRs offer motor protection as well as preventing a machine re-starting after power is restored following a disconnection.

Your does not offer motor protection just operator protection. If you have a short power lead to a switched socket that is in easy reach when you are standing at the machine then I suppose you could bypass the NVR but you should be aware of the potential hazards of doing so.

Bob

A huge public thank you to Devonwoody who has kindly sent me a tissue box in return for a little guidance in solving his sander problem.

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

Thanks very much John.

Bob

Latest posts

Back