Now that's a drill press!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Untitled.png

https://youtu.be/SOFHUfZMF_o?t=395

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 315
I bought an old Steff / Maggi power feeder for my spindle moulder a few months back but the mounting bracket was just too big to fit comfortably on the spindle bed. I was about to throw it back on Ebay when I realised the power head holder was the same diameter as one of my pillar drill's column.

I mounted the power feed arm with the pillar drill on the edge of the work bench and I now have a rock solid pillar drill with a reach of over 2 foot across the bench. The thing is incredibly stable and have to say I'm surprised I haven't seen it done before. The thing pulls out of the way when not in use and locks solid when needed with adjustability across all planes.

shed9":1gesn7kc said:
I bought an old Steff / Maggi power feeder for my spindle moulder a few months back but the mounting bracket was just too big to fit comfortably on the spindle bed. I was about to throw it back on Ebay when I realised the power head holder was the same diameter as one of my pillar drill's column.

I mounted the power feed arm with the pillar drill on the edge of the work bench and I now have a rock solid pillar drill with a reach of over 2 foot across the bench. The thing is incredibly stable and have to say I'm surprised I haven't seen it done before. The thing pulls out of the way when not in use and locks solid when needed with adjustability across all planes.

Sounds interesting - pics plz !

You don't see many radial arm drills in use anymore! They were mainly used on big heavy metal components where it was easier to move the drill head around the material rather than trying to accurately move the material around. I guess they probably still have their uses for some things but anything small you'd use a milling machine to accurately put a hole in it, anything big and heavy you'd get a mag drill out.

If you look back there is a video on them bringing it into the workshop and commissioning it. It is a real chunk of iron.

Great channel.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Back