NOW I'VE DONE IT WIRING HELP!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip1954

Established Member
Reaction score
i have a coronet elf with a nvr on it old grey box with big green & red on off , i was trying to tidy wiring on bench for lathe head turns fixed wires to tight ,later turned the head and pulled the wires out of the nvr
2012_0106mypictures0006.jpg

picture of switch please help as i am totally lost on what to do terminal 1 is loose but not sure if it will be live or neutral
i need help please.
pip

Terminal 1 is normally either live or neutral input. There is often a wiring diagram inside the box.

The fact that you have been able to pull the individual wires out, indicates that you don't have cable gripping glands fitted at the cable enter and leave the box. These are not dear and should be fitted to prevent this sort of problem in the future.

Bob

hi 9fingers
i know it is one or the other but which one live or neutral, is there any way of knowing there is a drawing in side the lid but just shows two wires but does not say which is which , the live and neutral at the other end of switch would they be the same way round or would they change over from left to right.
ps this is as i bought it i have not touched the wiring in the box.
pip

The other input will go to 2 or 3 but from what you have said, this is still attached.

It does not matter what you or someone else has done, you need the outer sheathing of the cable to gripped by glands. Mechanical restraint should never be by means of the conductors.

Bob

hi the live and nuetral were both pulled out thats why i don't know where they go would they be in line with the live nuetral at the out end of switch.
many thanks for replying
pip

pip1954":3cj1tsdz said:
hi the live and nuetral were both pulled out thats why i don't know where they go would they be in line with the live nuetral at the out end of switch.
many thanks for replying
pip

When the switch operates, the three poles are connected top to bottom. It does not really matter which is live and neutral.

Bob

2012_0107mypictures0002.jpg

here is picture of inside of lid on the right there are two wires marked but no live or nuetral,
if they work along the switch then will they be the same as the other end live nuetral.
sorry to be dim but just trying to get it right so if live is on the right at the top end then it will be live on the right at the bottom.
like i say many thanks for all your help =D>
pip

Hi Pip, Glad you got it sorted.
I've been on the road all day and just checked in to a hotel in the middle of France with wifi for the night.

Bob

Back