now is the time......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
now is the time to re-do my workshop,

i plan to turn this dull, damp, cold, smelly workshop

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/thoma ... kshop2.JPG

into a clean, warm bright workshop....well i did say "plan"

this is what i plan to do:

1.Remove all the tools from the 'shop
2.make studs on the floor and attatch some chipboard (and maybe some carpet :oops: )
3.stud the walls and clad that with some cladding. (marking out where the studs are for future reference
4.Do something with the lighting
5.bring the tools back in (maybe with some new ones!)
6.build a better workbench, some cupboards and loads of jigs.
7.Enjoy lots of fun hours in the workshop!

i would appreciate as many oppinions as possible!

thanks

Tom

What about a radio and some speakers? Where will the beer be kept?. Some good bench lighting. LOTS of electical outlets. Carpet - no. Used to have a small piece, threw it out. Now just have some old conveyor rubber strips. A nice high bar stool with no back rest? Wood offcut bin, "sinbin". Rubbish bin. Fan for summer. Some nice pegboard on the wall with proper hooks to hang some tools etc. Lots & lots of small bottles to keep nails and screws in PLUS a wall mounted shelf system to hold all the bottles for very eay access. and so the list goes on!
Enjoy it! :D

Exciting times Tom!
Why stud and clad the walls? You're making a small workshop even smaller!
Is it so you can easily fix things to the walls? If so, why not just screw up some pegboard for handtools, and ply with ½" dowels to hold your power tools...
Cabinets can easily be attached with rawl plugs and screws, same with jigs.
If you paint the walls an off-white it will open the area out and brighten the space. You don't lose room to wasted cavity.
Maybe there's a good reason for it??

Aragorn":w03cxsj2 said:
Why stud and clad the walls? You're making a small workshop even smaller!

very true but i thought that it would make it look a bit nicer :) although there cant be much worse than it is now!

thanks Jaco and Aragorn!

ill keep you posted on how it goes (after this weekends project (see my other thread))

Tom

Jaco":10m1ewfw said:
What about a radio and some speakers? Where will the beer be kept?. :D

Beer in a wood workshop??? :roll: Bye, bye fingers :lol:

Now hang on a cotton-picking moment. I'm right behind the idea of alcohol and using tools not mixing. No way. Nope. Ain't happening.

But, am I the only one to occasionally just pop into the workshop with a beverage and sit? Maybe plan a little? Perhaps cradle the odd tool and grin in a gloatish sort of way?

No?

Just me then. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Absolutely right ALF

Workshop is much nicer than the dog house

Signal

Well I think Tom's thread has been hijacked.
But seeing that it has been, I've got to go with Alf here and say that I love to sit in my workshop and think and plan while I am having a beverage and generally potter about, putting things away or getting things out as an idea occurs to me.

John

Back