Now is definitely the time to give up...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I know the tax has been rising amazingly, but this has to be one of the most expensive fags in history...

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9377941/Fake-cigarette-triggers-major-M6-anti-terror-incident.html>

Thank goodness it wasn't a Pot Noodle.

E.

You would think that (in the long past distant future) who ever noticed the smoke from the bag would have just tapped on the shoulder of such owner of the bag and say "sorry to trouble you but, did you know that there is smoke coming from your bag". No not now a days looks like someone has 999 on their speed dial mobile, and the next thing all hell has broken loose. What has happened to this country in whole. :duno:

Eric The Viking":2sd2odeg said:
I know the tax has been rising amazingly, but this has to be one of the most expensive fags in history...

E.
I said as much to Mrs WBloke this evening watching the 10 o'clock news on the Beeb...t'were an eye-wateringly expensive little exercise - Rob

woodbloke":2nxqp5yz said:
Eric The Viking":2nxqp5yz said:

E.
I said as much to Mrs WBloke this evening watching the 10 o'clock news on the Beeb...t'were an eye-wateringly expensive little exercise - Rob

But would you have it any other way?

maltrout512":1j23eeif said:
You would think that (in the long past distant future) who ever noticed the smoke from the bag would have just tapped on the shoulder of such owner of the bag and say "sorry to trouble you but, did you know that there is smoke coming from your bag". No not now a days looks like someone has 999 on their speed dial mobile, and the next thing all hell has broken loose. What has happened to this country in whole. :duno:

1, Litigation, touch someone on the shoulder and get sued for assault (or the "don't invade my space brigade")
Did you hear of the line umpire at Wimbledon who was/is going to sue a tennis player for assault for hitting him with a ball???

2, Terrorism, those not ever involved will panic at the slightest indication of what they perceive to be a "bomb" and not stop to think of any other way of dealing with the situation other than dialing 999 and not considering the consequences of such a call.

Andy

andersonec":fx1b1706 said:
maltrout512":fx1b1706 said:

1, Litigation, touch someone on the shoulder and get sued for assault (or the "don't invade my space brigade")
Did you hear of the line umpire at Wimbledon who was/is going to sue a tennis player for assault for hitting him with a ball???

2, Terrorism, those not ever involved will panic at the slightest indication of what they perceive to be a "bomb" and not stop to think of any other way of dealing with the situation other than dialing 999 and not considering the consequences of such a call.

Andy

I agree with you about litigation and is another one of the U-turns that the Coalition Govt has done. Lord Young said that he was going to put a stop to the No-Win-No-Fee brigade. Nothing has happened. Bit like the 'Bonfire of the Quangos'...which reminds me...must write to my MP about these two points....nothing like pinning them against the wall.

However, terrorism is a whole different ballgame. Without saying too much or, obviously revealing, my source I can say that there have been quite a number of attempts that have been thwarted but have not seen the light of day for very good reasons. So...maybe over-reaction but isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

RogerS":myrph19c said:
woodbloke":myrph19c said:
Eric The Viking":myrph19c said:

E.

But would you have it any other way?
Probably not Rog, but when I used to do pre-driving stuff to Yr 11 pupils at school as part of a social studies :roll: course, I went into the cost of a 'minor' RTA where the emergency services were hypothetically called ...even fifteen years ago, the total cost to all concerned, once it was added up came to well over £250K iIrc, so what yesterdays escapade came to I shudder to think - Rob

Rob, would I have it any other way? Nope, definitely not.

I've been disconcertingly close to several terrorist bombs* in my life and I most definitely wouldn't want the police to not react. I think their initial response was excellent, and the aerial footage indicated they have a good plan for such incidents.

It was just a wry observation about the huge consequences, as you mentioned later down the thread. I don't think there is necessarily a better answer than what's done now, although the costs of trying to prevent are huge.

E.

*I went to school in the centre of Guildford in the 1970s - draw your own conclusions.

Latest posts

Back