Now I know its spring...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
Yippee.....

....last year we had to rest the rhubarb because it suffered from the prolonged drought. For some reason my wife thought we should put the water on the cash crops!! Strange sense of priorities if you ask me.

Anyway, this year two out of three plants have survived and the stalks are big and healthy and thus we have.....ta da...
..the first rhubarb crumble of the year (with a small raspberry one to use up the mix - I always seem to make too much :lol: )

I feel a quick batch of custard coming on. Not that Creme Anglaise rubbish - some proper thick Bird's that sets like concrete so you can eat left overs with some jam \:D/

Attachments

• 100_3254.jpg
    100_3254.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,303
Oooo rhubarb crumble I am comming round.

I make it with ginger in with the rhubard and the crumble mix!

Pete

Racers":3i5r7u2e said:
Oooo rhubarb crumble I am comming round.

I make it with ginger in with the rhubard and the crumble mix!

Pete

You are very welcome of course.

Mind you, you'd better hurry. I reckon a crumble that size should do 4 to 6 servings so with just me and the wife that should last until..... oh at least 10am tomorrow morning.

Interesting idea the ginger, must try that. I do like the pure acid taste of the rhubarb though. My favourite fruit is the lemon, picked straight from the tree and eaten fresh. They are still all green at present so I'll just have to make do with the rhubarb for now.

Then the cherries, raspberries, apples, pears, apricots, peaches, plums, goosegogs, black-red-white currents and not forgetting the grapes - not necessarily in that order.

Cherries definitely first though. We normally get enough to feed the neighbourhood and make enough jam for a couple of years - can't wait. Its the best bit about the new season, seeing all the blossom and buds and anticipating the crop to come. Summer puddings, fresh fruit, more crumbles - its a hard life down here.

We too are crumble addicts. We regularly have apple, apple and apricot, rhubarb, gooseberry, apple and blackberry, apple and blackcurrant, summer fruits (all home grown apart from the apricots). Usually served with home made vanilla custard or a good vanilla icecream, occasionally with clotted cream!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike

henton49er":1i14ttfz said:
We too are crumble addicts. We regularly have apple, apple and apricot, rhubarb, gooseberry, apple and blackberry, apple and blackcurrant, summer fruits (all home grown apart from the apricots). Usually served with home made vanilla custard or a good vanilla icecream, occasionally with clotted cream!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike

You dirty rotten swine..... how dare you have clotted cream when I can't? I remember that stuff. The French are not very good at cream.

But... we do grow our own apricots too 8)

gus3049":e7lyuwuf said:
henton49er":e7lyuwuf said:

Mike

You dirty rotten swine..... how dare you have clotted cream when I can't? I remember that stuff. The French are not very good at cream.

Come on Gordon. Make your own. It's only sour milk after all! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(I'm sure there will be a video or a recipe on-line somewhere, on how to 'clot' cream!) 8)

Jonzjob":2vd6oz76 said:
He'd have a heed start Benchy. There'd be a clot making it
:roll: :roll: :twisted: :p

Don't worry Gordon, I only insult people I like 8) 8)

I suppose one should have expected no less :roll: Not sure which is worse, being a clot or being a twerp.

Anyway pity my wife, she got the clot and I got the cream.

Hi,

When I got home last night there where two big sticks of rhubarb on the worktop, my wife had got it from someone at work so we had rhubarb crumble with custard.

Pete

Racers":3ct0wowp said:
Hi,

When I got home last night there where two big sticks of rhubarb on the worktop, my wife had got it from someone at work so we had rhubarb crumble with custard.

Pete

Congratulations Pete, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did ours.

Benchwayze":3ct0wowp said:
Custard? Don't you mean 'Creme Anglais' Pete? :D

Hope the custard was proper like - none of this home made rubbish - I was bought up on Birds like any good citizen. We have friends who run a restaurant out here and they insist on serving up this 'creme anglaise' stuff, all gritty and thin. Doesn't stick to a single rib, just can't train some people. She's been reading too many cook books.

gus3049":zzys010n said:
Jonzjob":zzys010n said:

Now that is what I call nice. You're an ol' softie Gordon! :D

Benchwayze":26vvuz9p said:
gus3049":26vvuz9p said:
Jonzjob":26vvuz9p said:

Now that is what I call nice. You're an ol' softie Gordon! :D

I know my place :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

gus3049":i2krruwt said:
henton49er":i2krruwt said:

Mike

Gordon,

If you can get full cream milk from a local dairy farmer than you can make your own clotted cream by gently heating the milk in a wide saucepan and scraping the cream from the surface with a flat sieve (a slotted spoon will do at a pinch). Let any excess milk drain from the cream and keep in a carton in the fridge. That wi=ould then be better than any mass-produced clotted cream sold in this country.

I'd quite happily swap clotted cream for french red wine - most of what we get here is either very expensive or not very good!!

C'est la vie, as thay say somewhere near you!! :lol: :lol:

Mike

gus3049":jiee77s8 said:
henton49er":jiee77s8 said:

Mike

Gordon,

If you can get full cream milk from a local dairy farmer than you can make your own clotted cream by gently heating the milk in a wide saucepan and scraping the cream from the surface with a flat sieve (a slotted spoon will do at a pinch). Let any excess milk drain from the cream and keep in a carton in the fridge. That wi=ould then be better than any mass-produced clotted cream sold in this country.

I'd quite happily swap clotted cream for french red wine - most of what we get here is either very expensive or not very good!!

C'est la vie, as thay say somewhere near you!! :lol: :lol:

Mike

Latest posts

Back