Now I know its spring...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Gordon

Thick Birds custard :D the best stuff in the world :wink:

Pete

henton49er":c14wwh6c said:
Gordon,

If you can get full cream milk from a local dairy farmer than you can make your own clotted cream by gently heating the milk in a wide saucepan and scraping the cream from the surface with a flat sieve (a slotted spoon will do at a pinch). Let any excess milk drain from the cream and keep in a carton in the fridge. That wi=ould then be better than any mass-produced clotted cream sold in this country.

I'd quite happily swap clotted cream for french red wine - most of what we get here is either very expensive or not very good!!

C'est la vie, as thay say somewhere near you!! :lol: :lol:

Mike

I might just try that Mike,

The wine out here is just fine ta very much, although as already discussed with John, sometimes we have to pay as much as €1,40 a litre :shock:

gus3049":130ibmhr said:
Racers":130ibmhr said:
Hi, Gordon

Thick Birds custard :D the best stuff in the world :wink:

Pete

Pleased to see civilisation has reached as far north as Nottingham :D

Yeah, we let it pass over us here in Brummagem!
And,
I will give making clotted cream a try! Full-cream milk eh? I didn't know there was any other sort of milk.
(BTW, Mike, when you say full-cream, does the milk have to be RAW milk straight from the udder?)
Ta! :D

Benchwayze":p37gfio9 said:
(BTW, Mike, when you say full-cream, does the milk have to be RAW milk straight from the udder?)

If so, I think that you will find it nigh on impossible to source, unless you know a farmer very well. I tried to get some to have a go at cheese making, but hit a blank.

marcros":28apyjy9 said:
Benchwayze":28apyjy9 said:

If so, I think that you will find it nigh on impossible to source, unless you know a farmer very well. I tried to get some to have a go at cheese making, but hit a blank.

I do know a farmer quite well as it happens. I'll have to have a chat and buy him a bevvie! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":1g4ztwai said:

Yes; you can do it with what passes for full cream milk these days but you will get very little cream from the top compared to using unpasteurised, undiluted milk straight from the udder (as you so delicately put it!!).

Mike

Acording to EU rullings raw milk is not good for you, but what the hell do they know!

Our butcher sells raw milk as does one of the organic supermarkets here. We also get raw milk butter and raw sheeps milk creme fraïche. They are wonderful and the last time I had a mear smear, about 1/2" thick, raw butter was with the prawns for lunch today 8) 8) 8)

If you are looking for the French cloted cream Gordom keep an eye out for crème fraïche épaisse. As for crème anglaise, the French stuff, it is absoloutly disgusting. None better than made with eggs. Stuff the Birds merde stuff!

All of course as near illegal in the 'elf an safety mad England as the governments can make it without actually banning it.
Apart from people like yourself John you'd be hard put to find anyone who has ever tasted 'raw' milk, and that probably includes those attempting to ban it!
The preferred cow for raw milk is the Guernsey or Jersey, personally I find them too creamy, but I am lactose intolerant any way.

Roy.

Digit":ik1pbeg1 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy.
henton49er":ik1pbeg1 said:
Digit":ik1pbeg1 said:
...... but I am lactose intolerant any way.

Roy.

Whereas, I'm just intolerant! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D

Mike

Must be a Welsh thing :lol: We are FAR more relaxed about stuff out here. More wine less lactose I expect.

Roy, it has been proved that it isn't the milk that gives people the intollerance, it's the pasturisation and the changes it makes to the milk. May be not in your case, but in loads it is..

This bloke is a well respected American doctor who is fighting over all sorts of health issues and milk is one of his favourites, along with the company we all love (?) Monsanto!!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... rview.aspx

He has loads of other articles on raw milk if you do a site search.. Some very interesting stuff on there, not all of it but lots.

The problem is buying it, shops are not allowed to sell it, farm gate only.

Roy.

henton49er":29c1g9nc said:
Benchwayze":29c1g9nc said:

Yes; you can do it with what passes for full cream milk these days but you will get very little cream from the top compared to using unpasteurised, undiluted milk straight from the udder (as you so delicately put it!!).

Mike

Well I don't like the word 'Cow'! Reminds me too much of the unsavoury Alf Garnett! :mrgreen:

When I was a youngster and worked on a farm we drank milk straight from the cow but it comes out warm!
Back in the Dairy it was cooled by passing it over water cooled pipes before placed in churns. We used to buy milk direct - the farmers wife used to ladle out pints from the top of the churn which was mainly cream.
Not considered unhealthy in those days?

Rod

People have died from drinking it, there were Salmonella scares with French cheeses made from it some time ago.
Interestingly the sale of it has to come from cows that have not had antibotics used on them.
So it's OK for antibiotics in 'safe' milk but not 'unsafe' milk?
others-123.GIF

Roy.

Of course not Roy! Unsafe milk isn't safe :shock:

I thought that everyone knew that, but perhaps they haven't let that gem of info over Offas Dyke :roll: :roll:

We always get raw milk cheese when we can and there's lots of it here. Cows, sheeps and goats and tastes so much better than the past-yer-ears merde. In fact one lady on the cheese counter in Intermarché always points me towards the best stuff when she is there!! 8)

Back