Now happy with the Table saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a picture of the motor plate just for reference.

Fitz
Fitz
I had the top off this evening, but I hadn't seen this post sorry.
But here's the plate of the saw.

Attachments

• saw.png
    saw.png
    952 KB · Views: 27
Did this problem start at the same time? Why did you need to replace the shaft?
I replaced the shaft because it was excessively worn and making quite a noise, I was concerned that something was going to fail with drastic consequences. As it turned out there was no need for concern, but it is a lot quieter with the tighter shaft.
No it didn't start then it always appeared under powered to me, although more so recently.

Guys I'm happy and somewhat humbled to report that the consensus of the group has triumphed again.
After work I removed the top of the saw to check the belt tension.
I didn't have high hopes because I could see the motor was as far back as possible.
The belt was as tight as it would go but there was some give in it.
The motor is held on by 3 bolts and on closer inspection, I saw that there is also adjustment on the lower, out of sight bolt.
With the help of a short bar and a few choice words my Mother wouldn't have liked, I managed to get it tensioned. After putting it back together I tried a similar piece of wood as before and she cut it as fast as I could feed it.

Sometimes it's the simplest of things!

It'll cut even better with a proper ripping blade installed though, so your new purchase won't be wasted.

Dr Bob, if you’re going through three or four blades a week you must be putting one hell of a lot of nasty chipboardy stuff through your saws? I know I am a one man band and fairly slow at that but I only have mine resharpened three or four times a year. Obviously we are working at different ends of the spectrum lol.
Artie, glad you got the problem solved, I knew it wasn’t right from that video. Ian

Guys I'm happy and somewhat humbled to report that the consensus of the group has triumphed again.
I didn't have high hopes because I could see the motor was as far back as possible.
The motor is held on by 3 bolts and on closer inspection, I saw that there is also adjustment on the lower, out of sight bolt.
With the help of a short bar and a few choice words my Mother wouldn't have liked, I managed to get it tensioned. After putting it back together I tried a similar piece of wood as before and she cut it as fast as I could feed it.

Great news
I would have a long drink at that short bar to celebrate!!

And please change the title, how can you still not be happy with your tablesaw Artie? ha
I was thinking that too.
Is it possible to change the title.?
Was thinking about starting one about the advantages/disadvantages of buying cheap blades and discarding them v buying better blades and re sharpening them.?
But I'll have a search first.

Definately not aimed at anyone but........
I'm amazed by the "it's not to bad" attitude to saw blade sharpness. I get through at least 3-4 blades a week, if my thumb doesn't catch properly on a blade, it's blunt, quality of cut is everything. Dull blades cause tearout, chipping on MFC, bows and wobble cuts, un wanted angles, burns, just swap it early.
Probably was aimed at me Bob after my comment so fair cop (y) but despite what I said my blade actually is sharp. When you're used to a machine you know very quickly if blades have blunted and I have several I swap around when necessary so always have at least 1 sharp available. Running a high volume business you would need 3 to 4 a week but a low usage hobbyist like mecan be using the same blade for weeks or even months sometimes and in my case I use the bandsaw a lot more than the tablesaw.

I agree with all you said and would add that using blunt blades can also be dangerous as you're likely to push the material rather than just feed it in.

Dr Bob, if you’re going through three or four blades a week you must be putting one hell of a lot of nasty chipboardy stuff through your saws? I know I am a one man band and fairly slow at that but I only have mine resharpened three or four times a year. Obviously we are working at different ends of the spectrum lol.

I go through about one a month, but I'm not working in melamine faced chipboard day-in-day-out like Bob is. Since the majority of my blades are ATB I ocassionally check them by feeding a piece of timber into them and looking at the reverse V cut in the timber, any rounding at all of either side of the points in the cut and the blade gets swapped out.

I changed it to "Now happy with the table saw.", but can change it to almost anything you prefer.
Naa that's fine, I'll top it off with a vid of it cutting with a tight belt and a new blade, give us all a thrill. lol

I can’t compare with others (eg Freud) as I haven5 used the others but I got a couple of Saxton blades (60 &100 tooth) when I bought my Evolution tablesaw and the blades have had no trouble ripping what I’ve thrown at them. Interestingly (and I know this probably isn’t best thing to do) the 100 tooth ripped 70mm softwood at 2.4 m lengths several times quite happily. The evolution equates to approx 2.4hp so the OP’s machine/blade sounds to be struggling more than my Evolution and 100 tooth and thicker wood
Talking of Evolution Table Saws, when i measure the width of a rip cut and then lock the rip fence in place it moves fractionally so that it is impossible to get an accurate cut, did you have the same issue?

Just a note from a different perspective, did you check that the belt (I'm assuming "V" here) is not unduly worn and bottoming out on the pully centres?
Putting extra pressure upon the motor and shaft maybe counter productive where a new belt would suffice.
Cheers Andy

Just a note from a different perspective, did you check that the belt (I'm assuming "V" here) is not unduly worn and bottoming out on the pully centres?
Putting extra pressure upon the motor and shaft maybe counter productive where a new belt would suffice.
Cheers Andy
Good point.
It's not a v belt, I think it's called a multi rib, looks something like this.

multi rib.jpg

Back