Novice Woodkateer Turner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd spend this afternoon practicing on the lathe, should really do it more often, but like a lot of things it gets put on the back burner.

had a nice piece of spalter beech 14" diameter to play with, it was abit hairy to start with because I had to have the head of of the lathe turned 90 degrees, but this settled down as i progressed, although I was unable to put the lathe on full speed.

Decided to have a go at a platter and this was the final result.

Platter-001.jpg

Platter-002.jpg

I finished off the platter with chestnut shallac sanding sealer and chestnut friction polish.

I think in future I will concentrate on smaller pieces until I get more proficient.

Unfortunately its back to work next week so no more WW for a while.

All of you that are going to Tools 2006 have a really good time, hopefully see you at Tools 2007.

You want to get more proficient :eek: ? Blimey you are ambitious!

I love to see turned wood and to my inexpert eye this project is much too accomplished for a novice; not that I'm doubting you - it's just that it's so impressive. Very well done!

Gill

Cripes, Waka, don't practise any more. You're too good already. :shock: Love the bead round the rim.

Waka":27qavgdh said:
All of you that are going to Tools 2006 have a really good time, hopefully see you at Tools 2007.
The poor man's unhinged with jealousy. Unless you really do already know you can't make it to Tools2006... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3jia06oj said:
Unless you really do already know you can't make it to Tools2006

I doubt even Alf has got her ticket to that yet - maybe trying to beat number 010!

Waka: good turning skills. What size is it?

Cheers

Tim

Nicely executed Waka, is the colour shade due to the shellac?
Nice rich patina anyway, had not thought of using shellac to achieve that look, guess Terry is in for another sale next time I see him.

Thanks for the kind words, it is satisfying when something turns out half decent. Mind you it took a lot of sanding, not quite got the hang of having that perfect finish with the tools yet.

Alf":2s860uqv said:
The poor man's unhinged with jealousy. Unless you really do already know you can't make it to Tools2006...

Alf, definately won't be there and you are right I am unhinged with jealously :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris PM sent.

Philly":2s860uqv said:
You sure you haven't been practising?

Philly, its only the fifth project I,ve done, honest giv :) :)

Martyn":2s860uqv said:
A diner service on the way
definately not a dinner service on the way.

CHJ":2s860uqv said:
Nicely executed Waka, is the colour shade due to the shellac?

To be honest I didn't know how the finish was going to look, normally I use ordinary sanding sealer and bees wax, but this time I thought I'd experiment and it came out quite well.

Waka

Don't answer my question then.... :roll: :lol:

Chris - come on publish the photo.

Cheers

Tim

Back