Novice with lathe problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just had this thread pointed out to me - I don't usually frequent the strange world of spinny wood!

I have to out in a few minutes but will try and respond to this rather wandering thread over the weekend.

Bob

Dan,
Please try and answer the questions as accurately as possible. It appears your fault is not a 'normal' one.

1) With no belts fitted, does the motor start under its own steam?
2) If you spin the motor in the opposite direction and then try and start it, does it run in reverse or does it stop and then run in the correct direction?
3)I can see in the manual that there is at least one capacitor - the bulge on the outside. Is there a second capacitor either as a similar bulge on the outside or perhaps inside the connection box that is normally on the side of the motor?
4) Please post a sharp focus photo of the rating plate on the motor - not one just attached to the lathe.
5) Where in Sussex are you based?

Bob

9fingers":3mu0fqxa said:
Dan,
Please try and answer the questions as accurately as possible. It appears your fault is not a 'normal' one.

1) With no belts fitted, does the motor start under its own steam?
2) If you spin the motor in the opposite direction and then try and start it, does it run in reverse or does it stop and then run in the correct direction?
3)I can see in the manual that there is at least one capacitor - the bulge on the outside. Is there a second capacitor either as a similar bulge on the outside or perhaps inside the connection box that is normally on the side of the motor?
4) Please post a sharp focus photo of the rating plate on the motor - not one just attached to the lathe.
5) Where in Sussex are you based?

Bob

Thanks Bob,

1) it does start by itself with no belts attached
2) not tried yet - I'll have a go when I get chance!
3) i'm pretty certain there is only 1 capacitor, but will check
4) this is a photo i took on my phone last week for my own reference, not perfect, but shows details
5) Uckfield

it's not something that is a major problem, as I can still use it to some degree. However I would like to have it fixed for when I do get time to use it!

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• Photo0050.jpg
    Photo0050.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 629
The photo also suggests a single capacitor which must be working to a degree otherwise the motor would not start by itself.
Uckfield is a bit too far away for a house call.
It is a pretty low powered motor and could as others have suggested a belt tensioning problem - aim for +/-10mm slack in the longest run.
If this does not improve things then I would suggest a new capacitor - it is not a dead cert to fix the problem but a pretty cheap thing to try.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I've managed to fix it now! As many people suggested, it was the capacitor. I had bought a cheap one of ebay a week or so ago, and only had time yesterday to try it, and so far so good!

Thanks to everybody who has helped with my dilemma!

Dan

Latest posts

Back