Novice needs help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollem

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm interested in woodturning but have no experience, or equipment.
I have a maximum budget of £350.
Can anyone suggest how best I can spend this on a lathe, tools and accessories please.
Thanks

I would suggest that you start by contacting your local woodturning club and get some starting out instruction. That will then give you an idea of what you need. The members there should also be able to point you towards good deals on lathes and tools in your locality. Your budget would get you a basic new mini lathe and some basic starter set of tools but would go a lot further on good secondhand gear when you know what you are looking at.
Regards
John

I'd suggest getting the biggest s/h lathe you can for your money.

No point getting a small one and exceeding it's capacity in a short time. Also a s/h one will be easy to sell on at the same price if you don't take too it.

Cheers James

Thanks for the advice. It seems Lincolnshire Wolds is the nearest club - I will try to contact them today. A s/h lathe does seem to be a good way forward.
kind regards
Keith

Look for an Arundel J4 junior. It's about the nicest lathe for a beginner and they crop up for £100 or so on Ebay.
There are others of course but that's the one I know about.

Think about dust extraction/ ventilation as well, very important, especially in the long run.
eta - by which I mean, sort it now, not sort it in the long run.

Don't go for a Clarke lathe. The price might seem ok, but they are awful. More likely to put you off than encourage you.
I can vouch for that - awful is a very polite euphemism for how bad they are actually are. I did mine up a bit too tightly the other day and warped the chassis. It may have to go in the bin.

I have a friend who works in the complaints department for MM. He frequently tells everyone he knows to avoid Clarke stuff. Gear bought in by the company is always a very cheap import, then sold cheap as money is saved through always putting the customer after profits.

I'm getting a vibe here, are Clarke no longer a respected brand, just an out sourcer of kit these days. I may be old but always trusted them as fairly reliable manufacturers?

I’d look out for an Axminster or Record power lathe....I’ve got a 355 Axminster....very happy with it....easy to use too. Not only that they are only n the end of the phone or email....

For that budget I’d be definitely looking s/h.
  1. Depending on what you want to turn, for all purpose hobby use id be looking at mechanical variable speed - axminster M900 or similar clone. (google picture of lathe, you'll see them by axminster perform / craft / white ranges / sip / Charnwood / delta / others - all essentially same - difference is finish of castings etc. Used less of issue although axminster branded units tend to hold value better).
  2. Tools - axmister £100 budget set are good starter and cover most projects. (Colwin Way did excellent infomercial on these on axminster YT channel)
  3. Chuck - ideally come with S/h lathe but RP and others make budget friendly models. Axminster chucks are ace and great range of jaws for future-proof system but may bust budget.
  4. Grinder - anything with a white wheel, ideally 40mm wide. 6” fine, 8” not reqd. CHJ on here posted some great homemade jig plans that are simple to make and budget friendly yet WILL simplify sharpening to give you consistent tool profiles - a bane of getting going
  5. safety - face visor + dust mask.
  6. Esssential - foundation in Woodturning by Keith Rowley. The ‘go to’ bible for all.
  7. misc - abrasive kits are ok but 1” wide bit fiddly for larger bowls etc. In terms of finishes, I’d recommend getting some cellulose sanding sealer and wood wax 22 clear - both from chestnut - will give a nice finish to general projects and you can add oil / lacquer / other finishes later.
hope this helps - feel free to ask Qs here p we‘re a friendly bunch.

simon

Latest posts

Back