Novice needs a chuck !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a chuck for my lathe ! None supplied with it - second hand ML8 in need of a little TLC.

Looking throught he Axminster catalogue, thier Clubman chucks seem a good option as there are a number of jaw sets that can added. Is this s reasonable way to go ?

Rob

I and several other people on this forum have the Supernova and are very happy with it but I have used the Axminster and it was fine too. Just make sure you get one that is single key operated and not by two "C" spanners.

John

I have both an Axminster Super Precision chuck and a recordpower RP4000. If I could only ever have one chuck it would have to be the axminster - with the range of jaws and holding power there is not much to touch it in my opinion. However, for lighter jobs the record unit is excellent and well put together. The only frustration with the record is that you can't get spare jaw carriers so it is an allen key job every time to change jaws.

By the way, I think the axminster is on offer at the moment with dovetail jaws, 2 sets step jaws, carrier jaws and a chuck case.

Either way, I endorse the earlier comment - do not be tempted to save a couple of quid and go for a lever / spanner style chuck. Even an octopus would struggle with those things. (I think all manufactures should recall the lot and replace them with key chucks and a sincere apology!!!)

Good luck and happy shopping!

to true SVB. 6months ago I got a cheapo chuck, it would how ever make a good door stop, I now use the rp4000, works very well, but is a bit of pain when you need to change jaws...
Oldwood m8, have a look in thishttp://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?c=CHUCKING-SYSTEMS..
mind you after I got the rp4000 I then read about the Axminster S.P.
never mind,

Hi all nice forum.

Axminster SP would be the best way as I have the supernova delux and although it's a nice chuck I have the same problem as the Record. You can't get carrier jaws very easy, and if you can they cost a fortune.

Don't go for the Axminster as while it is a good chuck it is expensive compared to the Versachuck from The Toolpost which is very similar but better value.

The Versachuck comes with jaw carriers that accept jaws from the Axminster range, from Oneway and from another maker that I forget. You can get a complete range of jaw types from the Toolpost as well.

How can the Axminster chuck be expensive compared to a Versachuck when it is cheaper at the moment. You would also need to spend another £21 for the carrier jaws to mount the Axminster fittings. I use the Axminster chuck and am very satisfied with it.

Jaymar you are completely misinformed :!:

The Versachuck currently costs £130 including vat, including jaw carriers that accept Axminster type jaws, and including a set of dovetail jaws.

The Axminster equivalent costs £160 including vat and comes without any jaws at all as far as I can see, so add another £28 or more for those, total cost circa £190.

As I said before while the Axminster chuck is good, it is in my honest opinion no better than the Versachuck which is also very good, but which is around £60 cheaper :shock: :D

I am not affiliated to any of the manufacturers/retailers in any way, just a satisfied customer of The Toolpost who would hate to see anyone else spending more of their hard earned cash than they need to :!:

Think maybe you are discussing the Axminster Clubman chuck Jaymar, rather than the Axminster Super Precision (SP) which was being discussed here ?

The Clubman is only £100 including a jaw set, and would be fine for smaller turning requirements, but is not in the same league as the Super Precision or Versa chuck in terms of size and holding power for larger pieces, also the Clubman has exposed teeth and no indexing backplate as far as I can see, which are both potentially further disadvantages depending on your needs/views..........

Axminster, oneway, Vicmarc...
They look expensive, but you get what you pay for.
It is true I use them for the school, 8 hours a day, they receive (too) frequent caresses from the student gouges, and they still work. :wink:

Back