November Woodturning Challenge - THE REQUIREMENTS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
The November Challenge is entitled “Fruity”.

Paul Hannaby has kindly agreed to judge this month’s Challenge, and there will be a plaque for first place, kindly made for us by forum member Daven. Many thanks to both!! =D> =D> =D>

Challenge Requirements: “Fruity”

This month’s rules are:-

1. The Challenge is open to anyone and everyone.
Entries must be new and made specifically for the Challenge.
Entries must be made of wood which must be turned on a lathe using woodturning tools.
2. “Fruity” means either a turning of an apple, a pear or any other readily identifiable fruit (bananas and bunches of grapes most welcome :lol: :lol:) OR any turning made from a piece of fruit wood (apple, pear, plum, damson, cherry etc)
3. There are no size restrictions other than if you turn a piece of fruit it should be life-size.
4. Segmented turning, piercing and carving are allowed, as are colouring, pyrography and texturing, but the judge must be able to see your turning skills!
6. Any wood may be used if your turning is of a piece of fruit, but only fruit wood may be used if you are turning something other than a piece of fruit. Simples!

Please post three images of your work together with details of the wood used, the tools, methods and finishes used to make it and any key dimensions.

Images needed:-

1 showing a general side view of your entry
1 view of the top
1 view of the bottom
A fourth picture may be added (but is not compulsory) if needed to show any other interesting details of your entry.

Image size - please use image size 640 x 480 0.3mp, as in previous challenges

Please upload your pictures and description between 10pm on the 26th November and 10pm on the 28th November.

Please also send me a PM giving me your own opinions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places amongst the entries (other than your own) between 10pm on 28th November and 10pm on 30th November (for me to compile the entrants’ scoring).

Any queries or questions on this month’s Challenge, please use this thread to ask.

Just haven't had the time for September and October's challenges - but should have time in November - lots of shed time making Christmas presents so will make someone something fruity as well....

Grahamshed":2wh9ao4m said:
I like the double aspect of this, i.e fruit or fruit wood. widens out the challenge a treat.

Absolutely, Graham. Those who do not have the skills or knowledge to turn a piece of fruit can use, for example, a small cherry offcut and turn anything they like. How the judge is going to decide between the various entries remains to be seen!! :shock: :shock:

Come on, turners on the forum - let's have lots of entries this month!!

I will be entering one of these comps some time soon, but alas I too have been busy. November is the busiest month for Christmas fairs and building up stock before hand has been sapping my time - but I love it!

Good luck to all that enter :)

Back