November - The results

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Quicker than a speeding bullet, Paul has returned the results, and they are ......

Hi Nev,
As you probably don't want to wait until the 31st of November :wink: , here are the results -

Roundup

1st Duncanh
2nd Woodyturner
3rd Monkeybiter
4th Hesh
5th Henton49er

All looked to be well turned and finished. Perhaps all that separated the first 5 from the rest was proportion and form.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul and congrats to Duncan =D> and i know we say it every month but I think all they entries were great :mrgreen:
I shall posts the December challenge shortly.
Thanks to all taking part.

Very happy to have been placed again. That's four months in a row that I have scored more than the one point, which for a relative beginner, I am very happy with!! :D :D

Congratulations to all this month's "winners" and thanks to Nev for the organisation and Paul for the judging. =D> =D>

Roll on the December challenge!! :lol: :lol:

By golly that was quick thanks to all the organizers for running the challenge and well done all who entered and a big well done to Duncan a worthy winner I would have hatted to have had to judge between all the entry's they are all of a good standard

WooHoo! Chuffed to bits. Especially among such talented company.

Congrats to Duncanh, very nicely turned spirals, esp. opposing directions on the head, love to know how that's done.

Woodyturner, what a debut!

Where was Hudson Carpentry?

Well that was a very pleasant surprise. I expected woodyturner to storm that one. I'm surprised that Silverbirch did place either as that was also a contendor for winner. Just shows how tastes differ.

For those that have never seen or used the spiralling tool before check out the 2 videos at http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm
I hardly ever use the tool as it takes some setting up but I guess once you've worked out what settings for different diameters it should be easier. I should probably use some sacrificial wood to make some templates with which to set it.
It's just a question of choosing the right size wheel and the right angle. Applying the spiral is fairly straightforward.

LV works well but the mix of heart and sap wood meant that it bounced a little because of the differing densities.
Speed of spiralling for the head varied from 500rpm for the initial cuts up to 1000rpm once the spirals were established.
The handle was more awkward and I started with hand turning the lathe to establish the cuts and then moved up to about 100rpm and finally about 250

Well done everyone who entered this month, looking at the entries I was expecting a point so am chuffed to get another mention and the extra points. Well deserved winner and I thought woodyturners was a cracker as well. That said I certainly would not have liked to judge this months entries so thanks Paul. Thanks also to Nev for his efforts and sneaking in an extra bit for Decembers challenge............best I start googling Christmas Crackers.

Regards

Steve

Well done everyone. I wouldn't have liked to judge that competition. Though my favourite was Woodyturner's, I think it is a work of art.

What a difference a few years make ,when Blister started off this competition many of the entrants were new to woodturning and many felt that their work was not up to a decent standard , others may have thought that they would be taking an unfair advantage by entering . Now I would suggest that the standards of the entries are capable of holding their own against any competition .

So come on you members put your entries in and let the rest of those that have kept the challenge going over the last few years see how much they have closed on you or maybe { :shock: overtaken you :shock: }
So come on you "established " members for the new year I would love to see an "Open " competition where we could see what you have to offer.

How about it Nev. / Blister. =D> =D> :idea: :idea:

having had a couple of commissions for these this year I was facinated to see how this challenge would pan out - and I'll echo the earlier comments on 'quality'.

I also shared the judges opinion! Like all good pieces the winners just looked 'right' =D>

Back