November Challenge ( Rules Requirements / Criteria )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi People , its time for our November Challenge , A Goblet

( Rules /Requirements / Judges Criteria )

Something completely different for November regarding the Rules Requirements

Rule one ( There are NO rules :shock: ) other than Item must be lathe turned ( well it is a TURNING Challenge )

Our Judge for November will be Barry ( Not spoken to Barry re the rules as there are none :mrgreen: )

Entry's will be judged on the following :-

Creative choice of material or materials used to make the Goblet

Size scale and proportions of the goblets

Design

Quality of finish

NO Critique or comments on any work until December Please, After the Judging and results.

Please state the material or materials used if known and finish used , and a little about the techniques applied when producing the item (this helps the judge)

The Judges decision is final.

Please post 3 images / photos of your work
1 profile images of the Goblet
1 close up of any fine detail you would like the judge to see
1 looking down into the goblet from above

Image size please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, same as previous months

Please notify me your entries are ready by 10 pm on Saturday 26th after this time the thread will be locked

Entry’s to be uploaded from 10pm on Saturday 26th November up until 10pm on the Monday 28th November after this time the thread will be locked for Judging

Results will be given on or before Wednesday 30th November

Good luck everyone :mrgreen:

And REMEMBER , NO RULES so use what you want , any amount of pieces etc etc as long as it looks like a Goblet when finished :lol:

Here is my November entry.

Mad rush to get it done between physiotherapy sessions as I'm only allowed a day and a half at the weekends. The time it took to turn - about 20 minutes - is about the maximum I can manage standing at the mo so not too painful - poor old ..gger I hear you cry?

Turned from Cherry. Basic goblet turned as usual and the cup hollowed out, allowing for plenty of room for the piercing. Anybody using this will need a regular refill!!

The shapes were drawn in with pencil then most of the waste just drilled out. Then refined with the airtool and Dremel burrs. Sanded with my usual lolly sticks with abrasive stuck to them.

Finished with acid catalyst lacquer and waxed. Wine safe.

EDIT: Forgot the dimensions. Height 222mm - Cup diameter 65mm - Base diameter 72mm

Attachments

• 100_3039.jpg
    100_3039.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,605
  • 100_3038.jpg
    100_3038.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,605
  • 100_3037.jpg
    100_3037.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,605
November challenge.

This month has been a real challenge for me because although I have turned quite a lot of goblets I have never turned one that has taken quite this much concentration. It was turned completely on my Record CL1 woodworking lathe only using woodworking gouges and chisels. The wood came from a quite poorly muir platan in the garden. I think it's a type of plane tree that has blackberry like fruit. The end of the branches and is quite burr like.

The stem is a piece of 1 1/4” aluminium rod from a failed rod on the security cover on our pool and turned, at slow-ish speed using a 3/8' spindle gouge. The cuttings are like ali wool! And it was only possible to take little by little! A tenon was turned at each end, the lower bieng slightly larger. It was then sanded to 400 grit, 0000 wire wool and polished with good old Brasso. All spinning on the lathe.

The bowl was turned to a cylinder between centres and a spigot turned for chuck mounting in my O'Donnel jaws, K8 chuck. Then hollowed and the most of the outside turned before reversing and mounted onto the button jaws, on the K8, and held with a rotating point on the tailstock, to finish the outside. I had to be VERY careful turning the mortice for the tenon to fit in because the cup is quite thin with holes and faults at various points. The spindle was fitted loose, held in place with the tail stock and a rotating point and the bowl turned down to match.

The foot was glue chucked to a wooden face plate and the base turned flat and a dovetailed chuck recess turned and sanded through from 108 to 400 grits. Knocked carefully off of the glue chuck and mounted on the O'Donnel jaws it was turned round and to the rough shape I wanted. A mortice was turned and once again the stem was fitted and the foot was matched as above.

When I was happy with everything I roughed the metal on both mortices and tob and bottom were glued in place using medium cyano. The wood now has a coat of celulose sanding sealer that was deknibbed with tired 400 grit and 2 coats of melamine lacqure applied. The wood was then buffed on my Beal buffing system finishing with carnube wax.

Alugobletc.jpg

Alugoblet4.jpg

Alugobletstem.jpg

wishing i hadnt posted my reject now, seeing as lots liked it :shock: but never mind, heres the replacement. Bog standard goblet in shape and form. made from yew from my local churchyard.
turned to a cylinder between centres with recess near base for collets? mounted in chuck and inside of bowl done with (new) bowl gouge, then finished. then outside of bowl with same, then finished. then stem and rings with spindle gouge , finished and lastly the base.
finish is sanded to 600, then MM, and a few coats of cellulose sealer, MM again, another SS coat, last 4 MM again and a quick buff.
so nothing original or exciting but probably the most concentrated tooling i've done, and I am quietly chuffed with the finish. One for the shelf :D
yew goblet1.jpg

yew goblet3.jpg

yew goblet4.jpg

Attachments

• yew goblet4.jpg
    yew goblet4.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,585
  • yew goblet3.jpg
    yew goblet3.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,586
  • yew goblet1.jpg
    yew goblet1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,658
So here's my goblet. Making it involved several firsts for me - first time I've made a goblet, first time I've done a spiral with an insert, first time I've done a rim spiral.
The cup, stem and base are all turned separately as there's no other way to get the insert into the stem.
1) drill stem blank down it's centre. Turn 2 ebony piano keys to the diameter of the hole and glue them inside the stem blank
2) turn stem to desired diameter with a tenon at each end
3) draw spiral onto the stem and form by hand using fine saw, files and abrasive
4) turn cup with a wide rim. Mark spiral onto rim. Drill holes where spiral meets the cup and work these round the rim using fine saw, hand files and abrasive
5) make base the same way as the cup.

Materials: hornbeam, 2 reclaimed ebony piano keys.
Finish: Chestnut spray acrylic satin lacquer
Height: 20.5 cm
Diameter: 5cm

R0012821.jpg

R0012829.jpg

The inside is fairly shiny despite satin rather then gloss spray.

R0012836-Edit.jpg

Attachments

• R0012821.jpg
    R0012821.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,583
  • R0012829.jpg
    R0012829.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,603
  • R0012836-Edit.jpg
    R0012836-Edit.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,600
This is my goblet for this month. It is made from American black walnut and finished with cellulose sanding sealer and friction polish. The blank was rounded off between centres and the mounted in a chuck, then it was drilled out with a forsener bit and the inside was scraped. The rest was shaped with a spindle gouge and sanded to 400 grit.

goblettop.jpg

gobletclose-up.jpg

goblet.jpg

Made from mulberry the blank was turned round between centres and a spigot added to hold in chuck jaws, the bowl part of the goblet was then turned with a 1/4" bowl gouge and 3/8" spindle gouge managed to get the wall to less than 1mm thick. This was then sanded and finished and the tailstock with livecentre brought in to support from the end with a little tissue packing, then slowly worked stem back towards the foot in sections sanding and finishing each one as went along. The goblet measures just over 10 1/2" tall and was finished with sanding sealer and woodwax 22.

Goblet007.jpg

Goblet017.jpg

Goblet012.jpg

Dave

OK, had a problem so lost the cup, and no time before monday to do that section again, so don't judge me, but heres were i got to on the stem,

Purpleheart and Bone.

S7000030.jpg

S7000029.jpg

S7000031.jpg

Well im throughly embarrassed to submit my entry. With no time to ask for help and then do another, I still am to get my token point.

Basically every time I tried to take more then just dust shavings off, the dam thing moved. After must frustration and many of turning back to centred I got fed up and just did what I needed to get the point.

Ill ask for help in another thread to figure out why I had such a hard time.

Its made from oak and stands 140mm tall, 68mm wide with a cup depth of 45mm.

Attachments

• gobblet1.jpg
    gobblet1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,512
  • gobblet2.jpg
    gobblet2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,511
  • gobblet3.jpg
    gobblet3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,512
My entry for this month is my first ever eccentric goblet.

I think its made from Ash, ( can anyone tell me if i am correct ) i say think because i do not have very much dry wood and i bought a large box of bits and bobs from fleabay and none of it was marked or named i know a few of what there and is an ongoing learning area this one.

it is 6" tall and 2" in diameter took me around 2 hours to complete, sanded to 400 grit and finished with Danish oil, i only used my bowl gouge but making sure it was nice and sharp. Also in doing this sorted my vibration problem which seems to have been 2 things not sharp tools and the chuck i have came with a spacer washer that i used so i didn't use it with this chuck went to the shoulder no probs and made things much easier.

Was definitely a bit scary at first and i was terrified that i would have a catch but it went pretty smoothly and i know 2 hours is probably quite long but i stopped a lot of time to make sure i go a good transition from the bottom of cup.

If i was to do it again i think another finish but seeing as thats another area i need to learn i am really happy with this.

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 1,500
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,500
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,499
Here is my goblet.

This has been a strange month to enter. Only made one goblet previously so i had a practice.

Given the lack of rules I tried a few variations of goblet with various interpretations, but at the end of the day, and in my opinion all efforts of cleverness were "trumped" by the natural beauty of a piece of a Yew Branch I used to "practice" turning a goblet on.

Dimensions 80mm across 155mm tall

So my submission is my practice piece that I failed to improve on. Mother Nature 1 My Turning experimentation 0!

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Here is my goblet, made form damson. Turned a spigot then held in 4 jaw chuck. Hollowed out bowl, progressing to the outer edge round to the stem. The diameter of the bowl at the top is 90mm and approx 70mm deep. Total height is 170mm. Applied sanding sealer and sanded down to 1000 grit, then applied teak oil to finish.

6417356295_614906fa2e_m.jpg

6417356645_ed406e92da_m.jpg

6417355991_7f956e928f_m.jpg

yay after much phone fiddling i think i've cracked it

this month is it a first for me
its made from a left over bit of yew and a walnut pen blank for the stem it
it was all done on my new lathe k10 chuck with the tail stock to steady it
not only is it a first for me its the first finished project to come off my new lathe

sorry for bad pictures but only have my phone to do everything this month

Mod Edit: image orientation and exposure levels cleaned up CHJ
2011-11-28%2012.52.34[1].jpg

Attachments

• 2011-11-28 12.24.42.jpg
    2011-11-28 12.24.42.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 2011-11-28%2012.52.34[1].jpg
    2011-11-28%2012.52.34[1].jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,431
  • 2011-11-28%2012.29.50-1[1].jpg
    2011-11-28%2012.29.50-1[1].jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,423
First goblet .Glued up 10 tapered staves,sanded the top flat and put it in the cole jaws.Turned the bottom flat and glued on piece of black walnut and trrned a tenon on that. Rechucked in the stronghold and turned the inside and top with my Oland tool and scrapers and a 1/4 bowl gouge. Wrapped the top in stretch tape (as in first pic) and turnedthe bottom near finished and drilled a 1/2" hole. Set aside and turned the bottom of black walnut near finished, and drilled a 1/2" hole in it. Turned the stem near finished with a 1/2" tenon on each end , then glued them together on the lathe with the cup end at the live center end. Finished turned stem etc between centers and parted off between centers,nearly. Cut the nib off and finished with a bit of carving. Renstalled on cole jaws as per pic and oiled and buffed up the bottom. Danish old sanded in and polished at each stage. A scrap of maple birdeye flooring, bloodwood and black walnut, leftovers all. 9 1/2" high, 3 3/4" at the rim, and the cup is a little less than 1/8". Thanks DK
Mod Edit: image P1010814[2].JPG orientation changed CHJ

Attachments

• P1010812.JPG
    P1010812.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,415
  • P1010813.JPG
    P1010813.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,415
  • P1010814[2].JPG
    P1010814[2].JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,411
My entry for November is designed around a Medieval Goblet

Made from OAK ( I think ) it was as hard as nails !
7" tall
2.5" Diameter at the top , slightly smaller at the base

The macro has distorted the shape visually :? ( made it look barrel shape )

All hollowing done with gouges and a scraper

Sanded from 120 to 400 grit

Sanding sealer and wax but will Finnish with melamine when the goblet has seasoned ( its still slightly damp ) I had steam coming off it when hollowing :lol:

IMG_1348.jpg

8)
IMG_1347-1.jpg

:D
IMG_1344.jpg

Hi, here is my goblet:
Cup and base sections are made from spalted sycamore, finished with melamine lacquer. Top and bottom rims and stem are plain sycamore with a black lacquer spray finish. The top and bottom rims and the stem were all turned and finished separately. Finally, the five pieces were assembled to give the finished goblet.

Height: 230mm
Diameterat base; 80mm
goblet4.jpg

goblet2.jpg

goblet3.jpg

Attachments

• goblet3.jpg
    goblet3.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 733
  • goblet2.jpg
    goblet2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 866
  • goblet4.jpg
    goblet4.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 714
This challenge started slightly differently - because I hadn't done a goblet before; but it's a bowl on a stem, right?

Had I been fortunate enough to discover the excellent guidelines subsequently posted in threads I would have done it differently - but I got away with it this time (but not the next I tried... #-o )

Grabbing a lump from my sister's firewood pile (again) I put it between steb and tail centre for a clylinder, added a 50mm spigot to the base but left it between centres whilst I roughed down with a bowl gouge and marked out. Then (mistake apparently) I did the outside of the cup (skew) before switching to the chuck to finish the 'bowl' with a 3/8 spindle gouge and light cuts. Finished up top with SS and WW22 before working down with a 1/2 skew, and then a pen skew at times.

Goblet is 170mm high, 90mm across, 1.5mm wall thickness to cup.

An enjoyable challenge, that's again opened up new horizons.

6420520597_77ecd5bf39_o.jpg

6420520221_1d0cf403b2_o.jpg

6420520891_b4014ce7a3_o.jpg

Here's my attempt;

160mmtall, 85mm at rim.
Eucalyptus [from Harrogate], had to change ends after finding deep cracks [shakes?], still some in final cup which I've sealed with super glue in the wood, then 50:50 ss:celulose followed by several layers of melamine, abraded between applications. Outside has microcrystalline wax buffed on new wheels [from Harrogate :lol: ].

The black band is burnt by rubbing an offcut against the piece at moderate speed. It worked quite well for a first time but would have been better on a sounder piece of wood. As you can see the grain is all over the place and the wood was alternately firm and soft.

Hollowed to the full depth of the cup profile I reckon it will hold about 1/2 pint.

P1080015k.jpg

P1080013k.jpg

P1080010k.jpg

Attachments

• P1080010k.jpg
    P1080010k.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 704
  • P1080013k.jpg
    P1080013k.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 722
  • P1080015k.jpg
    P1080015k.jpg