Nova DVR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've just discovered this forum and it is great!

I am currently looking for a new lathe and think I might end up with the Nova DVR.
Does anyone own it, and would like to tell us about their experience.

Did you choose a Nova-chuck to go with it? Good choice?

Thanks,
Geir

HI Geir and wlcome to the forum

I have a different lathe to this and so cannot help.

Hmm, I've seen this lathe and thought it looked pretty good. I'm not really 'into' turning though so I'll defer to the knowledgable ones - I'm sure one at least will be here shortly!

Adam

When I was looking at lathes to upgrade to, I considered the Nova DVR and the Poolewood direct drive Euro range (apparently no longer available), as they were similar in construction. By chance, I also learned of the Hegner HDB200XL variable speed lathe, so the comparison began.

What decided me to go for the Hegner was its hollow drive shaft, powered by a belt via three speed pulleys (changed in seconds) from the motor's mainshaft, rather than directly driving a solid mainshaft (in effect, the motor's armature).

My reasoning was that if I was ever daft enough to jam something onto a hollow shaft :( , a quick tap with the long tommy bar should free it, whereas freeing something jammed onto a motor armature could well be an entirely different and very expensive matter.

Such occasions might be rare, but in my view, having three speed ranges, each electronically variable, was more likely to retain torque throughout the speeds (90 - 3800RPM on the Hegner). Other reasons for my choice were the double-row angular contact ball bearings in the mainshaft (adjustable if necessary and very capable of taking load when faceplate turning), 1,015mm between centres and a 405mm swing over the bed (765mm with headstock swivelled).

In operation, the lathe is almost silent and is a really well-engineered product. I chose it because it has everything I will ever need, although I started out with different intentions.

I'm sure that there are plenty of Nova (and Poolewood) devotees who will chime in with the reasons for their choice. I have tried a Nova for a very short period and although I found it smooth, yet not as quiet, I still believe I made the right choice.

I have no connection with Hegner UK, Ltd., other than as a very satisfied customer.

Ray.

Hi Geir,

Welcome!

I have no knowledge of the Nova lathe, but can endorse all that Ray has said.

When I started turning about four years ago I looked at all the options. The Hegner lathe had all the features, and more than some other makes. Hegner U.K. Ltd. sent me a superb comprehensive information pack and, at my request, looked up an existing owner local to me to visit to see the machine in the flesh (that took them about 20 mins. to arrange!).

Although I have not owned another lathe to compare it with, I have found it to be all that it is claimed to be and am fully satisfied with it. I went for the 1 h.p. upgrade for the extra power. Four years on and it still operates as good as new.

I recommend it as well worth comparing with other makes before you decide. Any questions I might be able to help with ask away, on here or by PM. I have no affiliation to Hegner - just another satisfied customer.

Hegner U.K. :
http://www.hegner.co.uk
Tel: Freephone 0800 064 4180, or 01323 442440

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks a lot!
I will certainly look at the Hegner, but if there's any DVR-owners out there I'm still interested in hearing you opinion too.

Geir

Hello Geir,

I do not own a DVR but have turned on them a number of times while demoing in the US, I was always put off by the programme that looks after the speed control. It always seemed to take an age to change speed, either up or down, I know new programmes were due to be introduced by Tecknatool. It's a fairly solid lathe though.

Looking at other the mid-sized lathes as a comparison, I have two Hegners in my workshop for teaching on and would happily recommend them to anyone. As Trev states an upgrade to the larger motor would be a good investment.

Regards....Mike Swain RPT

In case it's not common knowledge, the post of MD at Hegner UK (Hailsham, East Sussex) has now been filled by Mark Baker, former Editor of Woodturning magazine.

Mark's job at Woodturning has been taken by Colin Simpson, a prolific woodturner, who I saw demonstrating last week at the Ashdown Woodturners Association.

Ray.

Latest posts

Back